Saturday, January 01, 2005

New Year's Celebrations -- The Worst

The Worst: Tokyo 2000

I bet most of you can remember new years' eve leading up to the year 2000. It was a year full of excitement for the new millennium (starting from 2001?!), fear of the millennium bug (Y2K) , and just plain ol' fun for the rest of us (remember singing Prince's "Partying like it's 1999"??? Yes, seems like ages ago doesn't it?)

I had invites from my friends all over the world to go and celebrate the momentous count down -- from Innsbruk to New York -- two years ahead!! My organised friends were already getting their shit together to plan for the *ultimate* new years of their lifetime years in advance.... (just like most sensible people in their mid/late 20s)

*My* lifetime!!!

Unfortunately at that time I was living with my "conservative" boyfriend who wanted to celebrate a quiet, personal new years eve. Hairy Muff. "I respect your freedom, and I love you sweetie, so... "

WRONG!!! MISTAKE!!! UUHHHUUUHHH GIRLFRIEND, ACT ON YOUR GUT INSTINCT, NOT YOUR BOYFRIEND'S WISHES!!!!!!!!!! (never again, dear readers, never again...)

My mind was on on skiing in Europe drinking "grappa" with my friends in front of the fire in their expensive holiday home in Austria. In my mind I was (kinda) fantacising, and reveling in the fact that my friend fancied me, but I was not going to cheat on my loving boyfriend, coz we were in love. The year 2000 was going to be one of excitment, love, and anticipation. Cummon? The entire world was waiting for 2000, right??


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nah... Jealous, possessive man wants to spend NYE in Tokyo. (how boring!)

My X is a nice person: too nice for my liking, actually. He is one of those people who would go out of his way, regardless of anything, to help others. Unfortunately that "supposed", romantic night we got a call from "Satomi Tiger" (my nickname for the crazy bitch), a psychotic , Japanese girlfriend of his boss....(I would have preferred a romantic helicopter ride over Tokyo bay that night, but I suppose that's what U get with boring earth signs, huh? Opps. Sorry, o, mean no offense, my friend!)

Lesson of the millennium: do not take phone calls from mentally insecure women -- regardless of who they are!!

My X does not speak much Japanese. So guess who was playing "Tokyo Life Line" during my (supposed) "romantic" new year's eve for two at a fancy restauant????? Moi. Your's truely.

I sat and talked to this psychotic bitch for nearly 1.5hrs --- right thru the countdown that my X was kindly showing me on Murdock TV and blowing "loving" kisses at me (that fecker!!!) She was ranting on and on about her relationship with her man, my man's boss, and all I could think was: "why am I doing this on new years eve -- no, let me rephrase. --- on the most important new years eve *ever* in my lifetime?? Y am I talking to Satomi Tiger when I should be on a helicoper ride drinking champagne with my lover???

WTF???

Dear readers, I sat with Satomi (her *real* name) for nearly 3(!!!) hrs going over her love problems that night/morning. She called a total of 5 times.... She had an argument with her man, D, and was in a state coz she didn't know where her relationship with D was going. She was in tears threatening to kill herself that night. She even got me to a point to tell her not to kill herself coz "I'll be there"...

I really was the "Tokyo Life Line" that night.

Satomi Tiger.


Dear readers, do you remember celebrating the coming of Y2K??? I hope it was better than mine...

Never again!!

(Post Script: I have a friend who commited suicide on Jan 3rd 1993. Her elder sister found her hanging in her apartment after calling her countless times... she was only 21 when she died. She was one of the "pretty" girls that could have done anything in her life. Altho' my new years with Satomi was a false alarm, I take people seriously -- especially when they tell me that they are going to top themselves, for I have seen death too close to me on many occations. I remember the lot of us feeling like shit after hearing about my friend... never again.

Y do people take their own lives???)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Easy solution, live another thousand years and have another.

Either that or if/when you get to England we'll do a New Years party for ya. Won't be on New Years, but we can make our own calendar, and its an excuse to get drunk.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

shit... I *miss* england -- especially london....

maybe I should write some stuff about the "interesting" people I met during my college years, living in Kentish Town....

Ouija27 said...

Ahh yes, new years 2000, I can vaugely recall the disappointment when the lights did not go out and all was well at the stroke of midnight. (Well except for the rockets that were 'accidently' launched by the Russian government... remember that shit... fucked up for real.
Yeah that was a good new years eve for me, kinda. Most of it is a haze of smoke and beer, but it was a good shin dig.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Purple haze,
2000 comes,
I'm stoned as hell,
but WTF!

Yes, new year's eve...

Ok, I'm hot on your tail now O, I'm going to get ahead of you BEFORE you get to one of my posts and suprise yo aaaas!