Tuesday, January 11, 2005

One of those days...

Tuesday, Jan. 11: DWR's To Do's List for Suit Role:

1) Create new file structure, set search criteria, set user access levels for LifeScience documentation that was migrated to new KM server. Also set version control and consolidate some of the redundant files. (Deadline: today)
2) Begin benchmarking studies for XXX, a CRM software giant that has the biggest market share in the pharmaceutical industry. Also look at annual reports for top 5 pharma over the past 5 years. (Deadline: tomorrow)
3) Work on Clinical Trial Management PoV deck -- Section 1: Industry trends, drivers, and issues. (Deadline: first draft to show Director, T, friday)
4) File industry newspaper into the binder. (Deadline: everyday)
5) Cheer up. (Deadline: forever)

Today I am feeling on the more empty side of full. I lost o's snail mail (including his address on the envelope so I can't send him a thank you letter), someone committed suicide by jumping in front of the train at Denenchofu station on the Toyoko Line (my commuter route), I got a blanket Spam-like email from a friend with a picture and a "name" -- forwarded from a hospital in Phuket that said:"Does anyone know who this boy is, he survived the tsunami, he is about 2 years old, and we don't know where his family is...". She asked us to use our network of information, etc. to help this little boy. This is the third such email I have received this month, and each time I get them the words "human trafficking, be careful" run thru my head.

I hit "reply all" and gave my friends some of the resources that I had pulled out while trying to locate my brother, warning everyone to *not* disclose the name of children, especially if accompanied by a photograph, coz it's giving too much information to human traffickers who will do anything, e.g. pretend that they are relatives, to exploit children. Moments later, I received an email from a stranger who was one of the victims of my "reply all" email saying:"oh, I believe that the child is Swedish and has found it's parent. See==>" I feel like a fool coz I didn't check my work email yesterday. It was a public holiday, but I think the least that my friend could do was to send us all an email saying:"Thank you for your support!! Look, the boy found his family!! Hurray!"

Some of us are not in Sweden, and do not follow the Swedish press. I try my hardest to keep up with news from all over the world, but I can't even keep up with the *regional* news. Now I look like a fool to (probably) 30 odd strangers who are thinking, why is this woman Spamming me about old news.

Oh, and this morning I've had to tell my boss about my "lump". Director A, a qualified pharmacist, knew the score when I explained to him; he understands the full implications if I have any complications during my procedure to "picture" my pancreas. A very soft spoken gentleman, Director A knows all about the shit I had to go thru with BwanaK in Sri Lanka, and now this? He told me to take as much time off if I needed it.

I have not seen one of the admin staff since before Christmas; she suffers from clinical depression, and has been in and out of hospital several times. One of my colleagues who was back in the office after being at the client's site on a three month project asked me if I had seen her. No. I have not seen her for ages; I've even had to take on some of her role while she has been away, for she is my big boss, Principal K's, personal assisstant. Well, that's what happens when you have a 3 person department, right? Not that I *do* much, just simple filing of daily industry newspapers which I pick up from her desk.

No taking calls, No scheduling, Neither more, nor less.

I'm not a secretary, I have other things to do, and they don't pay me enough to be a consultant AND be a secretary. They should know that by now. But I feel sorry for the other secretary tho' coz she's been having to fill in for the absent woman. I hope that when our depressed secretary returns she does not feel as if everyone has taken her job, and now she has no place in the office.

That would send her straight back to the funny farm.

I'm writing this in my little book over lunch; it's only 12:45pm and I still have half the day left. Somehow I just don't see it getting much better. I got a call from a friend just before lunch. She was having an even shittier day than me so I am going to have dinner with her this evening to cheer her up.

The only consolation so far today is that they are playing cool, happy music at Caspita, where I am having lunch. Lemon sole in white wine sauce and seasonal vegitables. I'm not that humgry so I'm just going to leave the "seasoned" vegitables. Since when did broccoli become "seasonable" in winter.... I wonder.

Suppose I better get back to the office....




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're a Notes user... If naught else, just thinkin' of ya 'n hoping that you'll be lumplessly swimming through some warm azure waters somewhere soon.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Thank you, anon. Yes, I'm one of those people who sit by myself during my lunch breaks drafting my stories. I also do it on the train -- for some strange reason a title, a thought just pops into my head, and that's when the inner-voice begins the narrative.

At the end of the day I go home, climb out of my suit, take off my bra and my contact lens, relax, and return to being the DWR. Well, right now I'm a Sober(?) Wench Rambler?? Nah, DWR is always DWR. Sober, or not...

Anonymous said...

You know that you do have an option - Bra-less Wench Rambler. Though of course that would increase your hit rates for no other reason that people want to know what a bra-less wench would be thinking... :)

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Bra-less Wench Rambler? Hmmm, that's an option, but unfortunately being bra-less in the office, exposing erect nipples? Probably not a good idea... I am already famous at the for my D-cup....(or so I'm told)

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

yeah.... but you won't find too many *girlz* in my office. The last I counted, including myself there are only 5 women in the office! not too many pickings for a Melancholy Girl, huh?

Anonymous said...

Hey, wait-a-sec. A D-cup? Is that as in a Japanese D or what? You said that you lost weight - how does this work again?
As for your office, you might find that elusive promotion oh so much easier once you don the uniform of the Bra-less Wench Rambler. You might also have a few more offers to ramble at a variety of venues, but we digress... :)

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

I know... I'm a western 32D. Japanese? Oh, I'm sure I'm a triple F, but nope. For some strange reason my tits have been growing since I was 19, from a 34B to my current size. The say that your ears keep growing thruout your life, well maybe my tits will too....

I don't want them to get any bigger, I find it very difficult to buy blouses for the office; the middle button area is ALWAYS slightly open, and it pisses me off that I can't wear anything larger (coz it makes me look like I've borrowed my dad's shirt). So I end up usually "safety pinning" it from the inside....

Having big tits in a land of women with "fried eggs" for their mammary glands is a disadvantage. When are the general population going to have boob jobs? Then there will be a market for the likes of us!!

Anonymous said...

Oh please. I don't see how you can increase mammary fat when you've dropped weight. What? Jessica Rabbit or what is going on? Plus, you always hide in your clothes anyway - bet you loose baggy sweaters and loose black jeans... :)

Anyway, from viewing the fine and sophisticated preferences of men from all over, I just can't believe that larger than life mammaries is going to discourage most guys at all. Quite the opposite, especially when paired with a svelte physique.

Am now wondering if you have to order your bras from Europe or something, as I can't imagine that most stores stock them there.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Ironically, C, I find more bras my size here than anywhere else. Can U imagine going to the UK and asking for a 32D? the smallest they usually stock is a 36/34D. They kinda look at U up and down with a look of "are you sure you're a D cup?"

get my drift?

As for my weight loss, the weight probably disappeared from places like my, um, brain, fatty tissue on my internal organs, skeletal muscles, and fat around it coz I look athletic but on the slim side of fat ;-) do you have my latest photo? if not will send it to you. *smiles*

DWR (aka. skinny arse bitch)

Ouija27 said...

I do know that a size 32 in anything larger than a C cup is or can be hard to find in stores around me. I went shopping with my ex-girl friend many times, and we would go from store to store looking for 32c, not an easy find, and 32D would be even harder I do believe. Crazy shit if you ask me.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

yes, I want more californian health-freak type people getting even *more* boob jobs!! I need factories in ChenMai, or Dongguan making more 32D cup bras for us!!!!

*sigh*

oh yeah, and sports bras? WHOA forget about them! You only find "granny" bras in that size....

Ouija27 said...

BTW, I can email you my addy again if you would like it, but then agian it may now be too far after the fact. Either way, all you gotta do is ask and it is yours.