Wednesday, January 05, 2005

In Continuation of Tsunami Help

I've found more fellow bloggers who are reporting on the Tsunami in "Paradise". You can go thru the links to make donations to aid agencies (e.g.WHO, UNICEF, NGOs, NPOs), and governments all over the world who are trying to bring relief and hope to the affected areas. Many people do not have access to clean water, an essential to health after the disaster, and the WHO estimates nearly 50,000 people may perish from Cholera in the next few months until there is a clear water line for the residents, the survivors of the Tsunami. There also are many children who have been separated from their parents after this disaster; did you know that according to UNICEF nearly 400 children in affected areas have been "repatriated" with strangers (i.e. not their relatives)? I know what happens to the minds of some adults in sudden, extreme poverty. I used to do overseas devopement work; many people have lost their livelihoods that was based on tourism. The "abductees" will do unimaginable things to exploit children -- especially to those that cannot speak up; they may have been sold off to infirtile couples in the west who can't *wait* to adopt kids (at the best), sold off as child labourers in illicit factories, sold off as organ doners, sold off as camel jockeys, or, in the worst case, prostitutes (both boys and girls) to "wealthy" asian countries like my home, the Paedophile Paradise.

(I have seen too many people who have exploited children during my 3 years working with JICA.... I've seen kids sold as camel jockeys, carpet makers, cloth weavers... and well, child "performers" in the sex industy... too many. Did you know that Japan has no laws against "human trafficing" -- altho they are still thinking about it? I've seen too much pain....)

Why?

I know it's been over a week since the earthquake/tsunami happened, and many people, including my brother, BwanaK, are still in shock, and will need emotional care after this disaster. I've been told that some kids, as old as 14, lost their ability to speak from the shock. I also know that kids have to be saved from those that will do anything to make a livelyhood after they lost everything -- literally -- after the disaster. I've seen it happen.... once too often. Live in asia, and U too will see...

For those that want to donate money to aid agencies here are some respectable sites:
American Red Cross (care of Yahoo; available globally)
Doraemon Donation (available only in Japan) Tel: 0990 53 5000 (100yen will be donated for each call. Not available from payphones, or mobiles)
Medicins Sans Frontiers (available globally. Winners of Nobel Peace Price)
Oxfam (available globally)
Unicef (available globally)
WHO (available globally)
Various Affected Embassies and NGOs/NPOslocated in Japan -- account for remittance to Japanese banks included.



Sunset In Paradise -- Gilli Air, Indonesia (copywrite 2003, DWR) also published on Serenity Posted by Hello

There are many other aid agencies, NPOs, NOGs that you can donate your money/or provide assistance, which is set up in your local area (I wish I was a nurse on days like this so that I can get my arse out there to help people!), but these are the organisations that I have worked with while I was working with JICA doing overseas development when I was a "wee lassy" so I know that they are not going to be cheating you, and taking your money, or something. Chose your aid agency carefully tho', or even better still, if you have the time and the skills needed in a place devestated by the disaster, sign yourself up. I, unfortunately have neither the skills nor the time, so I am giving you -- the ones with the skills -- the information to help the people of my favourite Paradise.


3 comments:

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

I realised in my youth doing "overseas development" work that I can't save the world. But the point is helping one person -- just even one person -- makes a difference.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucious

If everyone took that "one" step, we will be that much closer to our journey of a thousand miles.

Anonymous said...

Yes, and this tourist attracting country wants your money and this is what you can expect:
http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/37711.htm
Some officials just don't get it.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

worse still, I was told by BwanaK that the SL army were "shooting" bloated dead bodies in remote areas controlled by the Tamil Tigers from a helicopter, for they were "floating". They did this to sink the bodies; they wanted to avoid the deceased from being eaten by wild dogs in the area before the army was able to claim them...

what is going on with this planet?

oh, and the WHO reckons that there may be up to 150,000 people who may die from unclean water in the area (cholera)....just go to their site on my post, and U will see.

WTF!!!!!

*I still have two "out of the office reply"s from good collegues of mine..... why? Y? Y? right, I am going to drink some Po-LeiCha (tea) to drown my sick ass to sorrow!*