Wednesday, December 22, 2004

All I wanted was your love, your acceptance...A Tale of A Bulimic

(Nota Bene: I write this not to encourage those who are thinking about refining their eating disorders. I am telling you the stories of many people who have had it rough, and let's face it, Christmas -- the season of gluttony -- is the hardest for those who want to hide their eating disorders from their families, friends, lovers.... it's just plain hard; I'm not going to change your ways, for change comes only from within. It comes only from your own free will.... Bulimia is a painful, lonely disease, and I do not want to glamourise it. Bulimia only brings sadness to those who suffer, and to those that love the patients.)

I'm fat. I know it. I'm fat. I am 168cm (5ft 7) tall, and weigh 65kgs (143pounds). I don't even want to tell my boyfriend, Sam, what my clothes size is. He has repeatedly told me how much he loves my "round" belly, stroking it with a big grin on his face... "I guess this is what you'd look like when you are pregnant, huh?" (thanks, Sam. why don't you just twist that blade in my heart while you are at it!) I know he is only joking, but I have put on nearly 5 kgs (11 pounds) since we first met. I hate it. I can't stand it, and yet he says that he loves me regardless of my size.

Sam has recently been a bit distant towards me. He spends more time with his "mates" than with me. I used to love making love to him in front of his fire; I used to love the way he used to look at my naked body. Now we make love in the dark. I cannot see his face, and I guess he can't see my "pot belly", maybe he doesn't want to look at it...

The other day I tried to clear out my wardrobe of all the clothes that I could no longer fit into. My favourite Max & Co. dress, my cool DKNY jeans, my expensive suits...., but I couldn't. I can't let my disfigured body get in my way between me and Sam. I need to diet, to get back to the shape that I was when Sam first met me. I need to lose weight, PRONTO!

I was always an active person; I ran, I played tennis, I played lacrosse, but my recent knee injury took me away from excersise, but my food consumption remained the same. In short, I was eating more calories than what I burnt. And this is when the idea came to me: eat less.Unfortunately I LOVE food. I could not stop eating, but my desire to please Sam, to win back his love was much stronger. I want Sam to love me; I want everything to be the way it used to be... like those days in November, when we fell in love. All those wonderful days that I remember, back when we were in love...

Sam, please love me the way you used to...

This was the begining of a vicious circle. I knew what I was going to get into, and if it took that much, then let it be...

After every meal, I would stick my fingers down my throat to puke it all up. I soon realised that certian foods, like bread, didn't come out too well. You need to drink lots of water with bread. Also it's easier to puke the food up within 20 mins after your meal. Otherwise you don't get everything out; the root of my sadness has already moved to my ileum.

Puking eventually became euphoric for me.

I would weigh myself every day, and watch my weight bounce up and down. My puking was not too effective. A 500g gain in weight would depress me to no avail -- shit I need to come up with a better action plan...

Laxatives. (Sam, anything for you...)

I went to the pharmacists to buy laxs. I read about the different laxatives available: ones that make your bowels active, ones that add bulk to your motions, and ones that would make your stools softer, and the combo type with multiple actions, plus many more.

I chose the combo type; I didn't care as long as the weight was being removed from my body. Just before I went to bed, I took nearly 20 pills and waited for the morning.... but morning came with a heavy price. I spent nearly 4 hours in pain, on the toilet, removing everything and anything that resided in my bowels.

That day, I lost 2kgs -- a weight I have been struggling to remove for the past 3 weeks. (See, I knew I could do it, Sam. No more pot bellies. I'm going to be slim again!)

Laxatives and purging were my answers!! I could eat cream cakes, eat whenever I was hungry, AND lose weight! I used to keep a strict rule until then about letting pass no more than 200kcal of food per day, but once I realised that only 4 hours on the toilet could fix it all! Well, purge'n'lax. That was it. Nothing was too painful for the love of Sam.

My obsessive patterns of eating, puking, and laxatives worked for a while, until I realised that I was always hungry. Constantly hungry, but I knew that I can fix all the damage done by eating. Puke'n'Lax. Hunger usually struck late at night. I wanted to eat sugary foods: cakes, cookies, caramel popcorn (well, popcorn is calorie free, right?). I would often consume more than 1800kcals at a time with lot & lots of water. Drink a lot of water, and flush all down the toilet, one way or another. Time and time again, for I was protected by the "purge'n'lax".

(Sam, I'm nearly there, darling. Love me as you used. Make love to me, in front of the fire, where you can see my body, and I can see your face, as we used to...)

When you live a life of secrecy, isolation, and distance from friends, family, and loved ones, they just do not understand you anymore. By the time I had got my weight down to 57kgs, Sam left me (for a rounder, happier girl!). Must admit everyone said I looked "great" and "healthy" , which was flattering -- I had more offers from men than ever in my life! (especially when I switched to contacts) Yes, I looked nice, but at what price? I had a secret identity, a life where I would have to excuse myself after every meal, a life where I would sneak off to the toilets for hours at a time, a secret life of buying large amounts of laxatives from different pharmacists, just in case they suspect that I was abusing them, for I was Bulimic. And I could not reveal to others my condition.

I always had a secret with those who opened their heart to me. It sometimes gets lonely that way...

(Post Script: Unlike Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa is very difficult to diagnose, because the patients are average to slightly built when you look at them. They don't look like walking skeletons, and they are fantastic at hiding their illness. Let's face it, you see them eat, right? You never stay up with them while they abuse laxatives, or puke up, right? I have been suffering from Bulimia Nervosa since I was 17. I still have some strange eating habits: I psycologically cannot eat carbohydrates at night. I eat only proteins and veggies at night. Oh, and no oil after 5pm. But I can eat. I can eat everything. I don't puke up, and I excersise regularly to keep my weight constant. I am 161cm (5ft4), and I weigh 46kg(101pounds), my body fat is at 19%. As you can read from my health check results I am a mirror of health?! But my message to all of you, who for one reason or another entered the dark gates of eating disorders.... well, there is a way out. Even if it's a small one. I know at least 4 ex-anorexics who are doing perfectly well with their own families. The way out is something that you will have to find. It doesn't have to be a perfect way out. Sod that! It doesn't happen that way. I still get pissed off when I put on 500g. But the thing is that even if it took me nearly 14 years to make one step: keep down my food. No Lax, No puking. It can be done. I know I have a long way to go, but so what. Fuck that! There is no quick way about changing things. 14 years is a long time... but I made it, right? Fuck, it could have taken me 40, but the whole point is that I took a step....

"I have a callus on my right hand just under the middle finger that I developed due to my excessive puking. Today it reminds me of the 14 years that I had to go thru. If you are one of me, don't let that callus grow, for it looks like shit on a smooth, beautiful hand... " -- DWR

I have a good friend, Jay, (he knows about my eating habits) who always says to me, DWR, if only you were 50pounds heavier, I'd propose to you immediately!! Thanks Jay, you give hope to so many of us who are insecure about our figures.)





8 comments:

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

this post is a dedication to the new me, and also to dana, who helped me become the person that I am today.

Namaste

Ouija27 said...

It takes a lot of courage to disclose such personal info DWR. I am gald you made it out alive. I do hope your story will help someone who is lost in such problems.
Just wanted to thank you for the story.
Also thanks for the profile up dates, very clever indeed.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

the "coming out" my eating disorder... well it had to come out one day right? it needed to be done after 14 years...

Buzzy Coltrane said...

143 lbs. is not fat, but I don't think you'll take my word for it.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Drunken Wench Rambler said...

buzzy, I did my research and did a BMI calculation for someone who is 5ft 7 ish. You are right. Someone at that hight is "normal-ish" but we get plugged with waifs and slim women in our magazines that the 143pouns seem like we are fat...(Kate Moss is somewhere in the region of 120pounds)

I am actually 5ft4, and weigh about 101pounds. I maintain this weight with all the Yoga, trekking, healthy eating, etc. but if you went on a date with me to a french restaurant.... well I would probably not eat half of the course given to me: 1) coz I'm allergic to shellfish, and am lactose intollerant 2) I am still on the road to recovery.
But the important thing is that I don't puke up my food anymore. I may be skinny, in terms of BMI, but that's OK. It's a lot better than where I was 14 years ago.

the most difficult part of someone with an eating disorder is to let people know that you are this way. These days I just tell my friends who I dine with "sorry darles, no carbs at night for me" The true friends accept me for who I am and let me order and eat what I like. It was tough to come out, but I needed to keep my routine to keep it together.

People with eating disorders are shy. But once we come out of our shells we just say" hey, guess what? I'm bulimic, or I'm anorexic. If you are my friend stay with me. I'll tell you all about it, otherwise fuck off and have a nice life".... that's when U first learn about who cares, and who doesn't.... it took me 14 years to come out of my shell. It's not the easiest of steps. I know from personal experience.

My advice to anyone with an eating disorder? You are the master of your destiny. Eating disorders are a cry for help. If no one is listening, talk to others that have been thru it, or think carefully about what you need. You are not alone. It takes a lot of courage to get into the endless circle, but it also takes the same amount of courage to take yourself out of that circle. 14 years may seem like a long time, but it was well worth the step away -- at least for me anyway.

I love frois gras! and I won't puke up after eating it. I would do what most people would do -- work it off! With a smile.
Yes I am 5ft4 and weigh 101 pounds, but I trail run, I do asthanga (power) yoga twice a week, I trekk up mountains... and guess what? I eat. I eat sensibly. I think about the various food groups, and realised that for my body type I don't need carbs late at night. I eat them only in the morning. It may sound like a boring life, but in the end I eat what I like to eat at specific times of the day.... not bad, huh?

You can leave that shitty, isolated life, just like me, but you need to want to leave it. That's the point. Right, Dana?

Tiffa said...

Hi DWR,

Thanks for sharing your story. Congratulations on your progress in destroying this demon.

I also know the vicious cycle of this horrible eating disorder as I've been binging, purging, and restricting since I was 12 and I am now 21. In the past 8 months I have been in outpatient treatment and now purge twice a month, instead of twice a day. To anyone struggling with an eating disorder, my advice is that recovery will not happen overnight, but it will happen. It's a journey. And no, I was never very overweight and I was never very underweight. Like you say in your post-script, you don't have to be emaciated to have an eating disorder. And it's not all about the food and the weight. It's about low self-esteem, poor coping mechanisms and depression. For me, it's about never feeling good enough.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Hi Tiffany, thank you for sharing your story too. I must admit, I cannot say that I am completely cured. I still have problems with eating "certain" foods, I still have binge-purge episodes (I think my last on was about a month ago), and I still feel really bad if I eat a pizza and don't excersise... but it's a long way from my eat 2 or 3 pizzas with 2lts of water to puke it up, or (one of the more stranger things I did) was to chew my favourite food, only to spit it out so I don't get fat. That was a long time ago...

None of us get like this overnight, and none of us will get over it in one or two conselling session, or one or two pills, three times a day.

How long is the road to discovery? About as long as a piece of string... but unless you take that that first step forward, you will never find out when the road ends.

Namaste