Thursday, December 30, 2004

Changing Lanes...

(note, this post was written on the 29th, but published only today.... festive season, too many social events, too drunk, too lazy.... 2many x-cuses??)

As some of you know I am in the process of (um, *thinking* of....) changing jobs after my company got bought out by a Japanese, hardware manufacturing pink elephant . Had enuf after nearly 5 years of slaving away for my company, and having not much of a life so I decided to see what my market worth was by sending my CV/resume on Dec 3rd. to a friend of mine, P, who is a a headhunter. I wasn't exactly expecting to find anything soon, but within 3 days I got a response from her company, and after an interview with the one of her colleagues a week later I was sent several emails of potential "clients" who wanted to interview me.

Today I went to my first interview that I was vaguely interested in.

I met with the CIO of a multinational company, a slight Japanese man, who was looking for someone to fill in a position in their IT department to start off their new project in April. For some strange reason we got on well (maybe we are both seasoned alcho's), we shared the same vision, and on leaving he even gave me some of their products as a "present"!!! (oh, how the Japanese are so polite and so corrupt!!)

I have been in the "job market" now for nearly 12 years, I've done anything from working on construction sites, to working as a "hostess" in Ginza, but this was my 4th "proper" company that I have interviewed with in my entire "adult" life....

Why did it go so well??? What is going on? I thought we we're in a recession???? I'm a drunken wench!!Not compute so good with me , lah!

I was expecting a "yes, we will be in touch with you, thank you for your time" just like the time I interviewed with Micky D's, and Denny's, and KFC, and other large supermarket chains, for they did not want to fill the position with "coloured" people. I was only 16, just looking for summer job, not a career!! Today I was expecting the same words that I heard over 15 years ago -- "yes, we have a position for you, doing photocopies round the back, nothing substantial... well, you know. The customers are not used to... well, you know..."foreign looking people" -- I know you are a full Japanese national. And I accept that. You are Japanese, but.... You know how in Japan it is not "customary to see gaiijin. (foreigners)".



lovin'n in indeed...
Posted by Hello

Say it, fucker! You only want people who are ethnically "pure" orientals
surving your murder burgers, right? Even if I couldn't speak a word of Japanese,
for instance a Chinese, or a Korean student, you'd hire me without a beat, coz
I'd *look* Oriental, right? You're not hiring me coz I'm black, right?? Say
*IT*!!! For a F**kin' Mc'Job????? I can't be bothered with the
likes of you!!


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was expecting something simliar to the (racisit) rejections that I had encountered as a teenager trying to get casual employment in the "fast food" industry...

But.

He came back to me with a direct, simple: "We are an equal opportunities employers. We hire the best person for the position, whether they are men, women, people with disabilities. We only hire the best people. And we emphasise on quality not only on our customers, but also our employees, for they are our assets. They make this company what it is. Now. When would you available for the next round of interviews? I want to get onto next steps as soon as possible. I'm still undecided about which section I'd like to bring you on board, yet, but I want you to talk to my boss who I have to report to. Out of formality, please understand, but I think my boss would like fresh people like you.".... and with that he gave me a bag of goodies when our interview/chat ended.

I am part Japanese, and part Tanzanian. From my brother's picture you can see that he does not look too oriental (He looks more like Tiger Woods). Nor do I (but *I* don't look like Tiger Woods!). We live in a country where the people are so "homogenous" that less than 1% are "ethnically" non-mongolian. i.e we don't look like the guyz runnin' your local "chinese take-away" shop.

What is going on?? Is the world I live in "changing gradually" just as the orange man said? Nah, I think it's multinationals spreading their "Affirmative Action" across Asia!! WOW!! (OK, DWR, is this why you are abandoning the "Japanese" Pink Elephant to go and seek better feeding gounds? Yup. Why else?)

Oh well. I asked for a very handsome renumeration, almost for a joke, and he didn't even flinch!!! I will be interviewed by the regional CIO and the business unit head in the middle of Jan. I hope they don't tell me that they have a post for me to do the photocopying, and to make tea for the IT department....

(Post script: as far as any records show from any ambassies, I am (apparently) the first person born between a Japanese person and a Tanzanian person.... There may be others before me, but are born under suspisious/non-documented circumstances. Perhaps I should patent some of my DNA, for I could have some really unique, hardy combination going there (I could be immuned to all sorts of things!!)! But even before that, I am proud of my parents for breaking the racial barrieres, trusting in their love, and bringing me into to the world. Truely, and honestly to my parents: Namaste.)

No comments: