Thursday, December 09, 2004

A Simple Thing Like a Smile

(Note from the DWR: This is a true story unlike my only fictional work on this blog, I Accidentally Discovered a Weapon of Mass Destruction.)

Today was a cold day. Many of my colleagues bought lunches and ate at their desks, but I grew up in Europe so I enjoy sitting down to have a proper meal at a restaurant for lunch. My full 1hr all to myself.

For myself.

I went to one of my favourite Italian restaurants in the area; it so happens to be in the building next to my office. The restaurant is famous for its authentic Italian pizza and it's large choice of pasta -- including portion size. They serve all sizes: Xtra large to Teeny-Weeny (which is more than enough for me!). The food is very popular amongst the patrons that I would often queue for nearly 10 mins even if I turned up at "odd" lunch hours like 1:15pm.

The restaurant fits about 60 seats, but even during lunch time I have never seen more than 5 waiters so you can imagine how busy they are when there is a full house. Some of the clientele grumble and complain at how "the food is great", but the "service sucks".

(Well, if you are sooooo into service, why don't you go to a more expensive restaurant where 2 people will be waiting on each of you!)

Today I sat next to (possibly) the most obnoxious, impatient customers that I have ever encountered. As soon as he was seated he looked at the menu, looked up to find the waiter that had led him to his table, only to find out that he had already gone to the kitchen to bring food for the other customers. My impatient neighbour began to huff, puff, mutter something about "poor service", and began to tap at the table, tap his feet, and shouted "S'cuse me? Hello, s'cuse meeee! Can I get some service around here?"

All the waiters were so busy carrying 2, 3, even 4 plates to the other customers, that all they could say was "Sir, we will be with you in a moment?" And they all said it with a smile. Not one of those "Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order -- have a nice day" smiles. The waiters really genuinely smile at this restaurant.

As picoseconds passed I could see my impatient neighbour getting really pissed off.

For fuck's sake, I need to go back to my "important" job in 27mins. I need to pen-push and count beans, damn it! These fucking idiots: COME AND TAKE MY ORDER, DAMN IT! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I AM THE PEN-PUSHING, BEAN-COUNTER!! AND I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN YOU YOU. I'M IMPORTANT DAMN IT! *tap, tap, tap*

Eventually the waiter came, smiling, and brought him a glass of water: "May I take your order sir?"

Tomato based pasta with seasonal vegetables large size hot coffee after my meal.

(Oh, that's what I was going to order too!)

As soon as the waiter took his order I smiled, and asked if he could take mine too. I'm a regular there, and they usually see me writing, or reading, but I am always patient. I like to take time to eat, and I know they are busy so I don't give them grief. May I have the tomato based pasta with seasonal vegetables. Would you make that the Teeny Weeny size, please. And after my meal, may I have some peach tea. Thank you. He smiled back, nodded, and went on with his business.

Ten minutes later the first wave of diners had left so the motion in the restaurant was slowing down. One of the waiters came up to me and asked me if I wanted some more water. Why, thank you! He poured me some cool water from his jug, facing his back to the obnoxious customer, smiled, nodded, and left to serve the other customers.

My neighbour was ignored.

A few moments later my food arrived. This time a different waiter -- an man who looks in his mid-forties -- brought it to me: Here you go. Your Teeny-Weeny pasta is here; you know I always see you writing, do you work during your lunch breaks? No, I just write my stories that I publish on-line. I am a blogger, and I write in my observations/ideas book so that I can post them later. Wow, you write, do you. Well enjoy your meal. And with that he left my table.

I took a small glance at my obnoxious neighbour who was just staring at my meal. THOSE FUCKERS! THEY SERVED HER FIRST!

"S'cuse me! I ordered my meal before her, why is she getting her food before me, huh? I don't have time to sit around waiting for my food. Where is my pasta?"

The older waiter walked up to his table, and with a smile on his face said: "Sir, you ordered a large size plate. The pasta takes longer to boil. It will be here shortly." Oh I see... well bring it to me as soon as it's cooked.

As the waiter turned around, I saw his cheeky grin, and he winked at me! (HAHA! Good on you, you guyz. This idiot has been given you grief, let him suffer for his rudeness!!)

Everyone knows that pasta -- whether it's 100g, or it's 500g cooks at the same rate!! My obnoxious neighbour was so selfish, and so nasty to the waiters who were only trying to do their best that they probably sent his order to the kitchens later than mine. A lot later.

Eventually his pasta came. He slurped it (snorted it, almost!) sooooo quickly that he finished before me, gulped his coffee in one go, and stomped out of the restaurant. Later when the older waiter came to clear my plate, he smiled and said: "would you like some dessert? On the house?"

Today I got Tiramisu for free. All because of a simple thing like a smile.

(Post script: we do not have a tipping system in Japan. There is no financial incentive for the waiters to "improve" their service. They do it because they want customer satisfaction and loyalty. They smile because they like to see us smile back. Dear readers, I must admit I don't always take the time to smile at people, but believe me when you do it gives you a rewarding feeling. And sometimes even a free dessert!)


7 comments:

Greg said...

See, that's beautiful.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

yeah. must admit, I don't always talk about the crap that goes on in this world. I see nice things, good things. Just as I see the crap. I suppose it's both a curse and a blessing. I have learned to embrace it now -after all these years, and it kinda feels good. :)

thanks for dropping by. I hope you enjoyed the tea and the comfy bean bags.

Unknown said...

Ah, the fun we used to have with rude customers at the bar. I wanna go to that restaurant.

Anonymous said...

See? After all these years, you've finally gone and gotten sentimental on me... :) Kinda fits dontcha think? You always had such a cute little baby-smile.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

yeah, C... I've always been a sentimental ol' fool. But I all I do is see the world and tell it as it is.

I am the silent Kataribe.

Ouija27 said...

I must say, good for the waitstaff there. I use to deliver pizzas, and if the customer was rude, or was known for not tipping, they were always at the bottom of my priority list. I think it is the same thing no matter where you go, no matter if there is a tipping system or not.
And now a few quesitons. What happens if someone goes to a place in Japan and tips the waitperson? Is it rude? And do the waitstaff make a good wage? Here we have a tipping system and for the most part if your a tipped employee, you are paid minium wage, with the exception here and there such as driver managers, strippers, and high class restraunts.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Good question, o. If you tipped someone in Japan they would usully tell you that they can't accept it -- it's not honourable, and it's not fair. Honour. That's their general mentality. If you still insist, they will probably put it in the till and goes straight to the house.

As for wages, they are paid according to their experience, enthusiasim, and devotion to work there. (again that "honourable" mentality). I'm still not sure why slaving yourself for your employer is an honourable thing, but I suppose the intention is nice, I suppose. As for their wages? It can range something from 800yen (US7.60) an hour working in a place like Denny's to 1400yen (US$13.31) if you are working for a really X-pensive joint.

Now not all waiters are "temporary" workers. Some of them who have been working for a while are full time employees so they get full benefits like healthcare, sickleave, paid holidays, etc.

Funny story to tell you about tipping tho. There are certain "entertainment" industries where tipping is acceptable. There is a male strip club where one has to "buy" monopoly money to tip the boyz!! And the house gives them their equivalent (minus transaction fees, I suppose. Coz the house is the bank) Too funny, right?

Puts a new meaning to the word "Foreign Exchange" -- LOL