Monday, November 15, 2004

See No Evil. Hear No Evil. Speak No Evil

I work near Ginza, one of the most expensive areas in the most expensive city in the world: Tokyo. During the bubble years some estimated that 3sqm of land in Ginza cost over 1.5billion yen... and now due to deflation the same areas are estimated at nearly 6 million yen -- but nonetheless is still out of reach for the average small to mid-sized businesses, let alone a normal, middle-classed white collared worker to buy.

I often have lunch at a small, french restaurant in the "Hibiya Chanter" building in Ginza called Le Pin Bar au Vin. I usually sit at my favourite counter seat facing the "Chanter" square where I can watch people from time to time as I gaze up from my book that I am reading. I enjoy this pass-time as I get to immerse myself in my inner world of my novel, and detach myself to see the lives of those around me.

Not too much exposure of either worlds.

The other day I sat in my usual seat, opened up my book "After Many a Summer Dies the Swan (by Aldous Huxley), and looked up to see, in front of me beyond the window, a tattered old man dressed in a suit rummaging through the rubbish bins at the pristine Chanter square. In the first rubbish bin he located a half eaten hamburger which he devoured, in the next bin he found a magazine which he placed carefully in his paper bag from a "designer shop", and in the last bin he found a used plastic vessel of a consumed lunch box and proceeded to sip the left over juices, only to continue on the journey of his "Personal Legend".


Recycling Man in a Tattered, Designer Suit Posted by Hello

The saddest part of this whole picture was not the old man in the suit, but the apathy, and refusal to face poverty and old age by those who were present at the square and had been in the vacinity of this man, just as I was there and had witnessed part of his life. At that split moment I was able to share a portion of his lifeforce, his experience, and his existence, but all those at the square refused or were unable to see this miracle.

I must admit, I was guilty of just watching this man and not asking him to the restaurant to join me for a meal (which I would have paid, of course), but as you can see from the picture I took of the old man- eventually - to those people at the square the "Recycling Man in the Suit" did not exist...

Ever.

"Mizaru, Kikazaru, Shyaberazaru" -- See no Evil. Hear no Evil. Speak no Evil

Sometimes refusing to understand, embrace, and accepting the truth is in itself evil .

3 comments:

Ouija27 said...

i not have a question of culture.

In America, many people would see this man, and may make remarks to their friends, or point or stare, or even yell at the guy, while others may actually offer to help, but that is highly unlikely. But the guy would be seen, and even talked about.

Now I ask you, to the people in the square see him and talk about him in some way to their friends or a close by stranger? Or would it be the case that nothing is said of the man at all?

I guess I am just not sure, and would like to know. Thank you kindly.

Ouija27 said...

One other question. I was looking at the link you posted to:
http://www.tokyo-oasis.com/gourmet/ginza/ginzalpbar.html
and I see that they have some sort of menu on that site. I cannot read word one, but the pictures look tasty once you click on a link. So I was wondering what one is your favorite, or would you recommend. Not like I will ever be there (well I guess it is possible, but not really likely)I am just interested that is all.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

1) unfortunately where I live people like the old man are ignored. If you look at the picture closely you will see people busy sending SMSs on their phone, or reading, or looking the otherway... he just doesn't exist coz he's one of *those* people.

2) I just linked to the restaurant that I was dining in -- just in case there was someone from Tokyo reading the post. Just my way of recommending a nice restaurant I suppose. That's all. :)