Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Omoni

Omoni means "Mother" in Korean. Omoni is also what I call the proprietor of a Korean BBQ restaurant in my old neighbourhood.

I would often eat at Omoni's place, for my kitchen (if you can call it that) was located in the corridor between my living room/bedroom and the front door. It had one electrical ring, and was furnished with a fridge the size of one of those cooler boxes that you find in cheap hotels. When you have an impractical kitchen like that, you just don't want to cook.

When I first walked into Omoni's place her well built daughter greeted me with a smile and placed a glass of water on my table. She returned to the kitchen where I overheard her speak to her brother: you had better grades in English than me, how do you say "Irashaimase" (Welcome) in English?

This put a little smile on my face, for I am fluent in Japanese. So I spoke up: Excuse me, may I have some Shojyu, on the rocks, please. Oh, and the menu too. (I'm always true to my drunken urges). Then I heard the biggest, booming laughter I had ever heard, which came from another well built, albeit somewhat older, lady wearing a Chogori and a Chima (Korean traditional dress). She just stood there laughing, and laughing -- her laughter was so contageous that after a while the entire restaurant (I think there were about 5 or 6 of us) were laughing our heads off!

This was the first time I set eyes on Omoni.

Omoni appologised for her daughter's misunderstanding. She said that they didn't have too many "Gaijin" (foreigners) come to her establishment.

Then she paused.

Funny, she said. I just said that we don't have too many foreigners come to the restaurant, but we, too, are "Gaijin" here!... and she burst into her soprano laughter again. But this time there was something sad about her laughter...

The Japanese occupation of the Korean Peninsula lasted from 1910 to 1945; much like Hitler built the autobahns, the Japanese Imperial Army built roads and infrastructure, and by the time the Pacific war was over Korea was the second biggest economy in Asia after Japan... but at such a cost...

Japan stripped the Korean people of their culture and their hounour. (they were forced to speak Japanese, convert to the Shinto religion, amongst others.) By 1937 the war mobilisation effort had lead to a shortage of factory labours and workers in Japan so they brought Korean and Chinese workers (by this time, Japan occupied Manchuria too) to support Japan's economy. Over one million Koreans were brought over, forced to work as unskilled, cheap, labourers, and treated like second class citizens -- even less -- for they were called names like "Chong" and "Kimuchi" by the colonial rulers and treated much like the african americans were treated before the civil rights movement.

By 1939, Korean nationals were "encouraged" to change their names -pseudonims- to ones that "sounded" more Japanese. Kim's became Kaneko's, Li's became Yamada's... But the end of the Pacific war in 1945 still did not mean that these new Kaneko's and Yamada's could immediately go home to their country: 1) Japan itself was under allied occupation. 2) Japan was defeated AND broke at the end of the war. 3) Koreans, already treated as 2nd class citizens, were even poorer to get themselves home. 4) Allied forces put more resources into bringing war criminals to justice, and keeping the Soviets at bay. Returning 2.5 million broke, hungry Koreans back home was slightly lower on their priority list (although they managed to get nearly 2 million repatriated by 1950) 5)Their own country, Korea, was divided into two zones, the north occupied by the victorious Soviets, and the south by the equally victorious Americans.... by 1948 the Korean peninsular was divided into two states, and the Korean war broke out in 1950 when the stalinist North decided to invade the South....

That is what the text books will tell you. But they do not tell the lives, the stories of those who were left behind on foreign soil... a very poor, defeated, and bitter foreign soil. In 1959, the Great Father (aka. the Mad Hatter) of North Korea, Kim Il Sung's government began a huge program to welcome all Koreans living in Japan; altho' most of them came from what is now South Korea, Comrade Kim sang(?) Arirang, encouraged Koreans to "return" to a land of hopes and dreams, a land where every Korean is treated equally and with honour, a land where food is abundant, a land where each man can make something of himself, and be proud."Our own country. Our own paradise"... which was a lot more than what Japan was offering at the time. By 1967, 100,000 Koreans went to North Korea rather than face the discrimination and institutionalised racism in Japan. But others remained... I guess they didn't want to get out of the frying pan and dive head first into an inferno...

Anyway, enough about modern Japanese/Korean history. Until 1987, to be eligible to become a Japanese citizen your father had to be a Japanese national at the time of your birth. So of course, if both your parents are Koreans, you are screwed. And if both your parents are from what is today North Korea, you are even more screwed. Those that are originally from the South are "technically" South Koreans, and have full rights to travel the world on a South Korean Passport. The others... well, I'm not sure if they opted to ask for a North Korean Passport -- if ever such a thing exists, considering that any movement within that stalinist state is closely monitored. Travel abroad on a North Korean passport? I don't think so...

Or there is the option of "naturalisation" -- which means stripping themselves of their Korean names and aquiring a "Japanese" name like Suzuki Taro, proving to the authorities that you are a "good citizen", and exibit more Japanese-ness than the Japanese themselves. Oh, and finally denounce your roots, and forget they even had their rich, Korean heritage. Your history and culture are Japan now. Congratulations, you are an honourable race now. (Japan does not allow dual citizenship for anyone over 22).

Sounds familiar? Yeah, that's what we did to the Koreans during the 35years of occupation...

South Koreans nationals even tho are born in Japan are given 3 to 5 year visas, and every once in a while have to return to South Korea to renue their visas; until recently (apparently) there was a special desk at Seoul airport specially dedicated to put entry and exit stamps on passports of those who flew in from Japan, only to take the next flight back (which would often be on the same plane!!)

Although they still face discrimination and institutionalised racism, the Koreans are proud of their heritage. Many send their children to Korean schools, keep their Korean names, and teach them about their history and culture. Omoni, her sibblings, and both her Children attended Korean Schools.

That night Omoni sat with me drinking Shojyu talking about many things. I told her how I became naturalised in 1987, but I had to adopt my mother's maiden name and drop my first name, for they were not "Japanese" names. I told her that I lost my name, and that's why I am always known only by my nickname. We had a chuckle when I told her that the name on my birth certificate is different from my "registered domicile" name which appears on my passport!!With a wide grin, she said: We are both Gaijin in this country. We are the same. I am your Omoni. You call me O-m-o-ni.

What does "Omoni" mean, I asked.

She took a deep breath and replied: It means "mother" in Korean.

I was touched by her openness. I think that it takes a big heart to accept someone into your life like that. It's a shame that my government cannot welcome people like Omoni as an honoured member of our state. A state that I wish to for me and Omoni to be proud of.

I never got to learn all the lyrics to the Arigang that Omoni sang that night...

4 comments:

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Thank you both for reading this blog. I felt it was important to speak out for all the "Omoni"s in Japan, and how they struggle thru life even tho they are smiling on the outside.

2moro, mayby I will take a picture with Omoni and add it to this post to get a more "real" dimension to my story.

Ouija27 said...

This is great, just great. I can learn, and have fun on the same blog. Thank you for this.

Anonymous said...

I think that I remember her - I had wondered...

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

yup. you have met Omoni. I kept in touch with her even after I moved out of that area. But I will never forget the first time I met her...

She is indeed a special person. If you are ever back in town, C, lets go and eat Yakiniku at her place :)