Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Fool on the Hill

Many of my readers may think that Japan is full of weirdos, madness, mayhem, and ridiculous rules and regulations that no one knows why there are there in the first place. While this is true there are also genuine, inspiring people that I have met. Today I will write about one of them: The Fool on The Hill.

I like to go trekking up in the mountains, for Japan is nearly 75% mountains so I have many to chose from. I often go every weekend during the spring, and also in the autumn when it's not too hot. I hike with several groups that I have met online; we all have different backgrounds, jobs, and dreams. Some are chatty and look at the leaves and the nature around them when they hike, but others, like me, are silent hikers often lost in thought, or just meditating, as we take each step. But one thing we all have in common is that we like mountains. And we like to maintain the mountains by taking back any rubbish we find along the way.

One day my trekking partners, S, N and I, were trekking up a very challenging mountain in Okutama, in west Tokyo. We started at an elevation of about 200m and climbed up to 1789m (in 3hrs!!). Because it was a steep climb we were taking it easy, collecting any rubbish we found along the way, and silently taking one step at a time. About 30mins from the top of the mountain from behind us came a strange old man wearing a white t-shirt, a white towel on his head, a jikatabi (footwear which looks like a combination of mittens for your feet, boots, and socks -- all in one --often worn by workmen from the edo period) that merged with his tight traditional monpe trousers, and carrying an old, large canvas rucksack, much like that used by the old imperial army in WWII, walked passed us, and greeted us.

Good for you for keeping the mountains clean. He said, as he greeted us and passed us at a very fast pace.

Wow! Here's a guy -- no Merrell trekking shoes, no Mont Bell Gortex hiking equipment, probably twice our age, looking like a Ninja more than a hiker -- trekking, and passing us on this very steep mountain! All three of us were shocked and surprised to see this lone hiker.

Once we got to the top it was time for lunch. Apart from the three of us there was the lone hiker, who had passed us nearly half an hour ago, eating his lunch. My curious hiking buddies decided to go up and chat to this strange Ninja hiker who looked as if he had just teleported from a different time.

Hi, old man, can we come and join you? Sure. You seem like good people. Anyone who is a mountaineer is a good person. We saw you pass us with that big ol' rucksack, what do you have in there? Oh, only 3 days of supply. I've been camping and walking for 2 days now. My journey will end tomorrow.

There I am struggling with a 7kg back pack, and this man, twice my age, was carrying 3 days worth of food, water, and shelter in an old, canvas backpack! And he looked more like a Ninja than a hiker. This is surreal.

He beckoned us to sit next to him while he told us his story. We found out that this strange Ninja hiker, Yasuda-san, had been trekking for nearly 30 years, and now that he has retired he often takes a journey of self discovery into the mountains. He had done the course that we were on more than 5 times.

He asked us how old we were, and we told him that we were in our early 30s, and that we have been trekking now for a while. (I started fairly early at 17.) Is there a good age to start treking, S asked.

He looked into the distance and replied: There is no "good age" to start trekking. The important thing is to start, and to know when to finish. I have been to these mountains many times, and every time I come the leaves, the trees, even the path is very different. Every time I come here they teach me something different. I'm 62, and I am still learning. There is so much you can learn from coming to the mountains. Today I learned that there are young people like you who respect the mountains. Tomorrow I will learn something different.

We people of the mountains come here, because we want to learn. That is why the mountains call us. We come here to meditate, and to contemplate life. For each step there is a thought, an emotion, which we let go at the start our next step. That is our journey -- it has a beginning and an end. Do not hold onto things, let go, and let the mountains guide you. You are people of the mountains, your senses are sharpened, which is a step forward from the city dwellers who are not called by the mountains. I wish you luck on your journey.

He stood up, and bid us farewell to continue on his way.

My hiking buddies, S and N, thought this man was as mad as his attire, and burst into laughter when he left. I didn't share my opinion with them that day, and I don't think I ever will.


Well on his way, his head in a cloud,
The man of a thousand voices, talking perfectly loud.
But nobody ever hears him,
Or the sound he appears to make.
And he never seems to notice .....


But the fool on the hill,
Sees the sun going down.
And the eyes in his head,
See the world spinning around.
(Fool on the Hill -- The Beatles)


That day I met a true philosopher, not a fool on the hill.

3 comments:

Ouija27 said...

Yet another good thought provoking post. While I never really lived around mountians, I can relate your story to just hiking in nature. I do not think it matters whether it is a mountian(s) or a wooded area, or a grass knoll. Nature calls to us.
May times I do my best thinking when I am just out hiking in the woods, or along the beach of Lake Michigan. It is just a matter of getting back into touch with nature, and being one with all around us. Being away from the hustel and bustle of every day life brings things into prespective for people, and they can take their mind off all their regular activites. It is times like that when we really start to see the world around us, and we observe things in a more pure state of mind.
But then agian this may not be true for everyone, maybe it is just for certian people. But at any rate I can relate to what your saying in one sense of the matter.
Very good post once agian. Your tops on my like girl.

Anonymous said...

'Twas a provoking post - I didn't realize the depth of thoughts you possess, these feel very different than your other communications. I didn't realized who lived there, M.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

C, I don't know if you've read all my stuff (I know that you have read a lot tho'). The more you read, the more you will see of me, I'm sure. Life is fluid, and so am I. Right now, I am in the process of re-discovering my inner child.

And I enjoy it!!