Sunday, November 21, 2004

Inner Voices

I have an inner voice. Her name is Nutts, not because she is crazy, but it's short for Natalia, just as I am known by my nickname by my friends. Nutts is the collective voice of all my imaginary friends that I had as a child. As with Christopher Robin, Poo, Piglet, and his friends, I, too, had a wonderful world full of Rascal, KunKun, and many more. Most of them sat with me at the dinner table while I had a conversation with them.

(Of course my parents would often tell me to stop talking, and eat my food!)

As I grew from childhood into adolescence, I started to talk to my inner voice through my diary. This is when Nutts first got her name. By the time I was 15, I had gone thru several versions of Nutts... all of which got lost somewhere along the line.

By my late teens, the writing stopped only to be replaced by the person in the mirror -- Nutts. I often still converse with Nutts (in private of course). We discuss world issues, social injustices that we see, things that we observe and feel. We often have arguments and disagreements, we speak our opinions very clearly, but in the end we always agree on one thing...

We know jack shit! We are still trying to understand god's thoughts...

There are two sentences inscribed upon the Delphic oracle ..: "Know thyself," and "Nothing too much;" and upon these all other precepts depend.—Plutarch, 1st-century Greek biographer and essayist

I love my inner voice, for she helps me to keep it together in this crazy world...

3 comments:

Ouija27 said...

I have a inner voice too - its name was mousey - I say it because it could be either a boy or a girl depending on my mood. Do you think all people do this, or is it just that people like you and me are willing to allow our selves to engage in this dual personality within ourselves, where as most many in any society would see this as odd or strange? For me personally I do not care what is odd or strange, but I like talking to my other half inside. However unlike you, when I was growing up my parents encouraged this type of creative imagination. A made up friend if you will. I have read storys of other great people that had such made up friends. To name a few.. and please forgive my misspelling on these names, I am a very bad speller... Louis Pastiour, Confiusis, Abe Lincoln, just to name a few. But I say keep taking to your self, it is good for the mind.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

yes, Nutts and I agree. We shall continue to debate, and we shall continue to Blog.

You are fortunate to have parents who encouraged you to expand your imagination! I think you will make a good parent...

Ouija27 said...

well that makes one of us I guess.
ojoj!!!