Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Pure Wisdom and Beauty of a Mad Woman...

There is an old lady that I see everyday. She is a homeless woman who sits by the station muttering to herself, making mosaics out of crisp packets and sweet wrappers that she picks from the rubbish bins. She is always at the same spot, wearing the same tattered clothes, concentrating on her work, muttering something and I cannot help but notice her while others walk past as if she does not exist.

Today I took up the courage to ask the woman what she was making, to which she replied:"I am drawing the world today". I looked down to see what the old lady was drawing -- I had never seen such profound and beautiful artwork. I have been to many famous galleries including the Tate and National Gallery in London, Uffizi in Florence, and the Picasso museum in Antibes, but never have I encountered the bright colours, the soft texture, the fluidity, and the warmth all captured by this homeless, old lady. It was pure love on a canvas of what we view as waste and bury underground... And that was the way she viewed the world.

As I was speaking to the inspirational artist, I suddenly noticed the blank faces that walked past us; the funny looks and stares of those who thought I was crazy talking to a madwoman wearing a dirty dress and had unkept hair... "what is she thinking?", "you don't want anything to do with them" "why is that woman in a suit -- one of us -- talking to that lazy thing?". I could hear their thoughts...

The view of the world for those that shun the old lady must be just as ugly as the old lady's tattered dress, but the view of her world is as beautiful as the expensive, fashionable, designer clothes worn by those that ignore her.

No, her view of the world was prettier. Exquisit. Moving...

The old lady returned to her artwork muttering to herself saying:"The world is as beautiful as you make it."

She was, and is, one of the most beautiful person in the world.

Thank you, my friend, for teaching me such a valuable lesson in life.

1 comment:

Ouija27 said...

It just goes to show you that everybody has something to teach us. How very kind of you to recognize the woman. If I were you, I would buy her something, a new jacket or shirt perhaps.