Thursday, November 04, 2004

Matters of the Heart....

I should have called this blog 11 minutes... I just finished the book by Paulo Coelho. It moved me... I found it interesting to look into the psyche of the main character, for she has repeatedly stated that she will chose her "career" over anything and be very independent. I sure am a romantic in some ways, for I was in tears near the end of the novel when the souls of two characters merge as one.

In some ways I am in search of my soul mate.

The more I read, the more I am moved by the words of those that purvey their thoughts and speak of their inner mind -- some of which I must admit were my inner thoughts and madness... They make you feel better when you embrace those other insecurities, and to put it in concrete writing helps us understand that we are not alone.

Humans are social creatures - they need a pact, or some form of community to feel comfortable about their feelings and their own existence - their being - to feel safe. I totally agree, and have devoted my life to conforming to the norm; to become one of the flock..., but does that make me happy?... the answer I think is obvious...

No.

3 comments:

Ouija27 said...

The last paragraph in this post is very deep. So deep that it has me confused in my altered state. Here are my thoughts:

First it seems that to be one of the flock, would really mean to be human. If you are human you are part of the flock.

Second, my observations lead me to think of humans in two very general catagories - Insiders - Outsiders. Or another way to put it would be - Mainstream - Underground. Now these are general catagories mind you, and not in any way trying to stereoyope or totalize any one. It is just how I see it in the simplest of terms. Now with that in mind, you said:
'I ... have devoted my life to conforming to the norm.'
So I would think you are an Insider or Mainstream, however you want to put it, but I read this blog and see examples where you are more of an Outsider or Underground, meaning only that you act as an individual and from what I could gather, would be a person who is extraordinary rather than ordinary.
Third, Thus I am confused... maybe it is just the beer?

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

I drink, therefore I am.

I am the faceless woman in the suit. I smile at my bosses and talk about "career development" and "industry focus". I look at "performance metrix" and "benchmarks" to find out what is "best practice". This is what I do for a living... I am the faceless suit that you meet on trains, on the streets, in the lift (elevator), in Starbucks...

I long to belong somewhere, find kindered spirits, but the options that I have right now are very limited... I have followed my natural urges to flock, and therefore I have become a faceless woman in a suit.

now do you see what I mean? or has this caused more confusion. if so? have another drink.

Cheerz!

Ouija27 said...

Oh thank you for the reply!

Yes it is all clear now, I was thinking way to deep into it. But I too was once like you but I found my way; I wish you the best of luck to find yours.

But then agian it was a soul mate you were searching for right? Yeah I am in the same boat as you on that.
http://maybechangeyourlife.blogspot.com/
They had something on this topic or similar to it. But you may have already seen it.