Thursday, November 18, 2004

Caged Children

I am always amazed to see little children - no older than 6 or 7 - taking the commuter trains during rush hour in Tokyo. These children, wearing square rucksacks/school bags called "randoseru", are crammed into the train alongside adults who sometimes show annoyance for being trapped in a carriage with a child's backpack
protruding into their knees.

preparing for the future... Posted by Hello
Children must have it worse, for they are enclosed from all sides, left, right, and above; at 6 years old I dont think I was any taller than 1m10.... Imagine spending 15 even 20minutes feeling everyone closing in on you. I'm surprised more children don't suffer from panic attacks caused by claustophobia. (actually, I have only seen adults have panic attacks on trains)

As these children grow older they will be caged not just by the towering adults that ride the commuter train. They will be caged in crammer schools to ensure good grades. They will be caged in societies expectations to be a responsible, Japanese citizen, they will, worst of all, make their own cages that will limit all their potential to live life. To pursue their dreams, to not fear heights, to believe in everything, and to find joy and freshness in everything that they encounter.

These boys are obviously fast learners: I wonder what they want to be when they grow older, only to ask them in 15 years time what they do. I wanted to be a migratory bird when I was young... now I am a blank face in a suit, one of the towering figures closing in on children on the morning train.

Tomorrow I think I will blog about the moment I found beauty in a telegraph pole...

No comments: