Thursday, November 25, 2004

Encounters...

I used to drown my pain with my work. I'm a shy person by nature, and I find it very difficult to meet people.

Plus I'm fussy.

1) I am not into oriental men (and I live in Japan?!)
2) I don't like jealous, possesive men
3) I don't like gaijin (foreign) men who think they are god's gift to women just, because Japanese women dote on them (we call them Charisma man, after the comic)
4) I don't like stupid men -- especially the reeeeeaaaalllly dumb ones. (e.g the man who chatted me up with:"Why are you so beautiful?" ummm.. that's a question you should be asking my mum and dad?!)
5) I hate people with poor oral hygiene. I CANNOT bear the thought of kissing someone with bad teeth....

and the list goes on.

But I sat down and said: Oi, stop all this nonesense! There are many genuine people out there. Yes if you hang around bars with your "bottom girlz" you are only going to attract scum de la scum. You need to change your strategy.

Which I did.

Blogging has opened up a new world where I not only observe people, but actually go up to talk to them and ask them questions about their lives. I get to go up to a complete stranger, explain to them that I have an idea that I want to write about, and could I take a picture of them. Everyone so far has obliged.

(I'm getting a bit more daring these days; more out of my comfort zone.)

Anyway, back to encounters. On sunday while I was writing the draft for one of my blogs in Starbucks, I noticed a gaijin guy sitting on his own looking sad and frustrated. I watched him from the corner of my eye for a while thinking: shall I go up to him and ask if I could join him, or not....

I didnt have the courage and left Starbucks after I finished writing. But the moment I stepped out of that coffee shop, my inner voice, Nutts, said to me: if you don't turn back and ask him if could do with a chat, you will regret it for the rest of your life!

So I did. I went straight back into Starbucks to chat with this mysterious stranger.

For the first time in my life (31years!) I walked up to a stranger and asked him if he could do with some company. Now, he could have said, sorry, I'm really not in the mood for a chat (which the old "me" would have done), but instead he said, please sit down... My name is DWR, what's yours? And the conversation continued for the next hour or so....

We talked about everything, and nothing. (it turned out that he is part American and part Japanese -- a "Hafu"* half cast * just like me!!)

I gave him my business card and my mobile number. He lives near me, so we said "maybe we can have some coffee, or some drinks some other day" and left it at that.


One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
Which road do I take? she asked.
Where do you want to go? was his response.
I don't know, Alice answered.
Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.
(Lewis Carroll, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland)

It didn't matter which road I took, so long as it was not the road I came from.

(post script: one of the things I noticed is that unlike in my innocent youth, I'm not looking at my phone each day, waiting for him to call. If it was meant to be, it will happen, otherwise I still have my journey to find my soulmate! Isn't that exciting!!!)

4 comments:

Mia said...

Good post, I followed the path of comments here, I'm going to bookmark you. You write well. I'm fussy too...Lol take a peek at my kind of man. I posted it yesterday in my 'deep in my mind' blog. mmmm

Ouija27 said...

I read this, and now I am putting in Alice and Wonderland. How wonderful!

But really, the path to true love is narrow right? Like the path to Shangrai-La is narrow as well. Life is hard.

I thought I had found my soul mate, and she told me that the one single meaning of life is to love. A really good point, but now she is gone, and I feel lost. But was she really my soul mate? Such questions are hard to answer and I do not want to face the paossibility that she really isn't my soul mate. But then again, if she is what would that say about me, since she is no longer with me? It is a catch 22 reall, and maybe in this case ignorance is bliss, but then again maybe not.

Never the less, I am still open to the possibility that I have not found my soul-mate yet, which leads me to believe that the girl I was writing about before, is not my soul-mate for if she was we would still be together right? I mean soul-mates just do not up and quite or can they?

See life is hard.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

yes... life indeed is hard to understand. but sometimes you find the answers in simple things that you overlooked. Go back to the basics, take a step back. Sometimes you are too close to see the wood for the trees.

I still don't have the answers to anything, but at least I have a personal goal to find them. That is what keeps me going each day.

How about you, O?

Ouija27 said...

Well there are a number of things that keep me going, but the most important one is... umm this is hard to boil it down to one thing but... I continue for the experience that is life. I still find that the simple things still excite me.
So one may ask where could one get such experience? It is clear as day, right? Well if not it is all around us. Every day you leave your home/apartment/box/car/RV/dumpster/other the world is your canvas and you can do with it as you please. But you also have to keep in mind that while you can do as you please, Karma will get you for it.
I find much of my heart in a game called Morton's List. That is what is my guide (well that and Karma). The game puts you in real life situations that you may normally find your self in or a situation you may have never thought you would ever do, and of course everything inbetween. This is where I find the most excitment in life... Morton's List: it is the mixture of the unknown, the chaos that is all around us, and the only thing to keep it all in check is Karma.
Using that as my starting point, I find life an adventure. And I find that even when I am not playing, I am still playing. It is a life changing experience, and I for one want to see where it will lead. I guess that I why I am still here, and why I will continue to be here. Much List Love...