Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Wheelchair Warriors: Shall I Stop At Being A Messanger?

Today the temperature in Tokyo was no more than 6degrees Celcius according to the weather reports. I know not to trust people too much so I am going to tell you, dear readers, how it felt. All the bones in my digets and metacarpals - left and right - were in pain. My cheeks had lost sensation and my pen was not working, the ink probably was too viscous to make an appearance on my paper because of the cold, and it was raining/snowing. But warriors are warriors. Whether they are sitting in an expensive, 300pound electric wheelchair, or dorning the cheapest fake Nikes in their silicone legs, they were out there in force yesterday and today. I had only a small glimps of their overnight protests, but the 30 minutes or so I spent was enough for me. I feel ashamed that I do not have the energy and the vigor to fight for their cause alongside them.

The Wheelchair Warriors are stronger than the DWR.

Of course they are; they have had more barriers and stigmatism than me, a "haafu". I only get looked upon as weird, the WCWs have in addition to that a physical obstacle on top of the stares. They get experimented upon, charged through their noses for basic human rights like "the right to freedom", and now they have to sit in the cold rain to be heard....

I want to help the WCWs as much as those who were kind enough to make a comment about their plight, but the opposing poweres are just too overwhelming: I am not strong. However, I have allies, and with the power of the masses and the media in Japan we may be able to move that boulder, to pave a way so that the Wheelchair warriors can march on without any barriers in their way.

I have an acquaintance in the media industry, and I have passed the batton onto her to cover the story. She works for one of the major terrestrial TV stations in Japan.... she took an interest in the Warriors and has been interviewing them the couple of weeks. I hope that what she produces can reach out to a wider audience than me.

C, I pray for your success. I know you are bound by sponsers, producers, et. al, but just as we spoke today about the WCWs we feel the same way about what is going on in our world. You and I are "haafu"s we have only one foot in this madness. Let us make sure that we keep the other foot rooted on solid ground. Just as Onoue san has his wheels firmly fixed in front of the ministry.

In the pouring rain.

2 comments:

LeftoverJoe said...

Your honesty is refreshing. I think it's great that you support their cause and that you sympathize with them. It says a lot that you care enough to talk to a friend and try to help them in some way, even though you admit you're not strong enough to be on the front lines.

Everyone has their place in the scheme of things, and it's great that you slotted right in and took a stand in your way. Good for you. Hope your week is excellent and that your resignation goes well. Cheers!

Congratulations on being in LOVE too!

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Thank you, Joe, my week has been good. Cold but good. I hope that my friend can continue to carry the batton on behalf of the wheelchail worriors. I feel sad that there is only a certain amount that I can do.

But I guess it's less than nothing, right?