Sunday, February 13, 2005

Wheel Chair Warriors -- RFP

In the world of consulting RFP stands for "Request For Proposal". Today I am using the three letter acronym to mean Request For Participation. I'm not sure if many of you remember the Wheel Chair Warriors who were protesting outside the Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (aka. Ministry of Wealth Through Increased Labour and Cuts in Healthcare) back in December; I received an email from one of the organisers of the protest who I passed my business card to when I interviewed Onoue san from DPI. She informed me that they will be staging an overnight protest, because the Diet (Parliament) is about to pass a law that would in effect send a large number of people with disabilities back to the "institutions" by removing their freedom that they have today.

They are going to be staging an overnight protest outside the Ministry on Feb 15th and 16th. I don't know if any of you have sat in a cold chair all night, not being able to stand up and move about in mid winter. This is what the Wheel Chair Warriors will be doing; it takes people like Onoue san to sit in protest before they even get noticed. The local media have not really taken much notice of what has been happening so I contacted an acquaintance in the industry to see if she was interested in following their story. I spoke to her yesterday; she was up for it, so let's see how things turn out.

As for me, I will be sober, hopefully without a cold, out there on both the days getting a feel for what is happenining. I know Onoue san will be very busy so I will not ask for an interview this time. I mean, they are "Warriors", but I do not see them lobbing Motolov Coctails, or anything like that, but I know that the police can be heavy handed even towards people who are sitting in an electric wheelchare that weighs over 300kgs (660pounds). The last time they were protesting the metropolitan police deployed at least 4 armoured vans full of policemen in riot gear. Four armoured vehicles for 2000 people, some of whom cannot even turn their heads, or breath air through their mouths. Do the maths? Just picture what I saw back in December, and it's about to happen again next week.

I wonder how much of my tax money has gone into this charade -- police in riot gear after people who are wheelchair bound?? And I wonder how many disabled people in Japan are going to be institutionalised, hidden away from the public eye after all they have done to make progress that matches the West when it comes to protecting the rights of people with disabilities.

I wonder....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BAH! I can't stand when I read shit like this! It's always
"A man was pinnned beneath a boulder in subzero temperatures. To save his life he cut off his own arm and hiked 3 miles through the mountains to safety. He has since become a accomplished pianist and still enjoys arctic hiking"
or
"When a car hit a puppy named spike and crushed his vertabrae- paralyzing his two back legs everyone thought it was the end. However, Spike fought his way back to health, and now uses his two front legs to pull retarded children (and his two back lifeless legs) to school on carts in Sri Lanka."

These people and animals should feel ASHAMED of themselves - do you know how INCREDIBLY LAZY AND SPOILED they make me feel? Here I am a healthy young man with all 5 appendages working perfectly and I think it's a chore to get off my skinny ass and go get my own beer out of the fridge. I really don't appreciate their motivation ... it makes me look bad. If I were to injure so much as my pinky finger you can bet your ass I would try to lay up in bed for the rest of my life , collect a check from the government and then bitch about how bad my finger hurts!

SHAME ON YOU WHEELCHAIR WARRIORS! NOW IM GONNA HAVE TO GO DO SOME DRUGS TO HELP WITH MY SELF ESTEEM!

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Alright Jeoffory, calm down, calm down! Just tweek/adjust thine self; the wheelchair warriors will fight for free "pinky physiotherapy" for you while you contemplate filing for additional "occupational hazard related injury" (or something to that effect) yeah, yeah, I will be there with the wheelchair warriors, fightin' for your free "Ice Bucket" to 'fix' that pinky; you can bitch slap me and pimp my arse if I don't get get you some for free!!

(Is that a promise, DWR? Maybe...)

Ouija27 said...

So... wow COOL a new comment set up. I love this.

Ok so Jeffory has a point, but I do not agree with it. Just be an man dude and admit your lazy. No one really gives a fuck to be honest. Your lazy... so what... just sit and chill and deal with it. And as for your self-esteem, again, no one gives two fucks. It could be at the lowest possible point or the highest possible point, who cares really? Your too self centered... get off your self, and stop being so humble, your not that special.

But as for these wheel Chair warriors, I will pull for them. Who would want to be instutionalized? Stale as fuck if you ask me. I do hope they come out on top, and our man jeffory get high, and then the world will be all in the good again. Well not really, but it would be a start.

Anonymous said...

LOL - Forgive me people. I knew I should have included a disclaimer with my post. I forget that my sense of humor is lost on many people and probably doesn't translate well. Please read the following disclaimer and keep it in mind any time you are unlucky enough to read the utter nonsense that comes out of my head.

**NOTICE**Jeoffory is a dumb american who suffers from several drug addictions, ADHD, Obsessive compulsive disorder, and mild retardation. Thus, any and all of his statements should be considered either sarcastic, in jest, unfounded, worthless, and/or completely untrue. Taking Jeoffory seriously may lead to confusion, social embarassment, legal action, arrest, deportation, and in some rare cases anal discomfort. If you have recently been exposed to Jeoffory's twisted sense of humor please contact your physician or drug dealer immediately and take whatever medication you have on hand.This message has been brought to you by the International Meth Addiction Foundation Against Gays (I.M.A.F.A.G.)

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Jeoffry, you always crack me up -- O, let me introduce you to Jeoffry, his sense of humour is about as hard to swallow as his... um, statements. Unless you are a member of I.M.A.F.A.G. then you will be swallowing something else, I am sure.

Don't worry, my friends, I will be out there will my full on *wand* and sock it to the Ministry of Wealth Thru Cuts in Healthcare when I am done. One thing's for sure, tweeked, stoned, or high on love (moi), we all wish Onoue-san and the Wheel Chair Warriors to win this time.

For once, and for all.

(oh, when I said my *wand* I meant my pen, people, pen! Jeeze what a bunch of gutter minds! Or is it just me... Oops)