Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Leave Me Alone I Am On Vacation: Day 4

9:44am: Once again I am sitting at one of the tables on the pier. The warm wind coming off the ocean is gently tickling my sun-kissed arms and cooling my warm bare feet. By my side are my two new writing companions -- a Dalmation and a brown puppy with short legs, and standing ears. The puppy, a local breed, is playful, and has not stopped following me since I made the fatal mistake of sharing my "Yam Chips" with him. I have never owned a dog in my adult life so I guess you can call me a "puppy novice" -- remind me, dear readers, to 1) never feed him again, and 2) never look at his eyes even if I accidentally forget 1). He is very sweet, but I don't think that he's supposed to eat yam chips. I hope they do not block his system up and cause him some harm. Oops.

Our daily practise started at 7:30am and lasted to about 9:35am. We did the full Primary Series of Asthanga Yoga which I had never completed before. I was helped by my yoga teacher to contort myself into a pretzel shape, to rock around 360 degrees, and to balance upright on my butt in this position. (I will post you the photos later -- you will laugh!) If my teacher was not there I would have either fallen flat on my face, or fallen back, stuck, unable to get up like a tortoise on its shell! Standing upright looks silly enough, but being stuck... well, I don't even want to go there.

After our practise we had some free time before breakfast. Outside our "Shala", where we do our yoga, there is a beautiful, hexagonal wooden deck that overlooks the sea. A-K and A-M found the morning ocean's invitation a bit too tempting that they lept into the water in their yoga wear! They were running, jumping, splashing with joy while the rest of us, although very exhausted laughed at the two of them. I think we all felt that small sense of joy in accomplishing something today.

After my breakfast I decided to take a walk on the island to look around, and to take some photos. We get a lot of free time in the afternoons until our meditation session and technique classes. Today we learned how to suck our tummies in (Uluyana Bunda) and wiggle the stomach musles around -- I know it sounds silly, but it really isn't. (looks fun tho!) I have been doing Asthanga Yoga since August last year, but I still can't get this technique right. I will have to work a bit more on it, I guess.

All in all today was a hard, but fun day. Tomorrow will be even harder coz we will all be aching -- I know. On a closing note, I will not be visiting Mr. and Mrs. Benzodiazepine to help me sleep tonight, for Mr. Sandman brought me a bag of sweet dreams together with the warm sea breeze.

Good Night.

1 comment:

LeftoverJoe said...

Hey Babe. That sounds awesome. Your vacation is finally on track! It sounds beautiful there. You definitely have to make us jealous by providing a few of those pictures you took on your site.

WIth all that tummy training you could be a kick-ass belly dancer. I don't think there's a man out there that can resist a sexy dance with yoga-hardened stomach muscles awash in candlelight.

Talk to you soon! Keep enjoying your holiday.