Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Katz vs. Dawgs

Nick is a dog owner. He owns a large, hairy dog. And this is the first time in my adult life that I have had the chance to closely study the behaviour pattern of dogs. Yesterday I had the opportunity to take Nick's dog for an hour's walk, and discovered that dogs are very, very different to cats. Very different.

Cats always go to the toilet in the same place, and bury their shit, piss, whatever, in kitty-gritty. The owner (e.g. me) merely has to get a pooper-scooper, remove the deeds, and throw it away. One can clean up kitty-shitty on auto-pilot, or totally hung over, coz they always shit in the same place. Dogs on the other hand shit whenever and wherever they feel like taking a dump; whether it is on the pavement, on someone's front garden, or even in front of a restaurant. If a dog wants to crap itself, it will. The owner therefore has to walk around with a bag of shit while the dog happily continues on its search for another location to take a dump.

Cats have an acute sense of smell. They use their olifactory senses to make sure that they do not eat rotten food, or to go anywhere near smelly things like fecal matters of other species. Dogs too have an acute sense of smell, however, they use this hightened sense to search out smelly items, like other dogs' shit, or dead cats, and get a really GOOD whiff of it. They sometimes even rub their body parts in smelly things so they can take the stench back to their homes.

Cats do not like to get their fur dirty or wet. They spend a good part of their waking day grooming and cleaning their coat. This is true for both indoor and outdoor cats, but in particular indoor cats are very fastidious about maintaining the condition of their fur. Cat owners of course can assist their feline friends and brush them, but in general cats can take care of themselves. Dogs on the other hand (if they could) would make the most out of their days trying to get their coats as filthy as possible. The wetter and the muddier the better. It is almost as if dogs wear wet mud on their fur as we women wear make-up on our faces. Muddy Dog = effort at looking attrative to the opposite sex. However, just like with some women, make up, or no make up, a dog is still a dog.

Cats require vertical exercise and therefore their linear territory on a map is usually small. Castrated male cats in general hang around a territory no bigger than 400m in diameter, and of course a feline "stud" will have his harem within approximately 2km sq. Cats are often seen on people's car bonnets, walls, even on roof tops, which is a very sweet site. Yesterday I was soooooo happy to find out that dogs do not exhibit these feline traits, and that they require *horizontal* exercise , i.e. dogs stay on the ground. I would have been at a complete loss if Nick's big, hairy dog started to climb onto people's homes; that dog would surely put a hole in someone's roof, and I know it would have been a peculiar site had the dog decided to take a dump right there and then.

11 comments:

Jim said...

We both follow our dreamz and read Paolo Coelho

dat says sumting dont it ?

ogri said...

I have only just found your blog and have spent 3 hours reading the archieves, I commend you for your kindness and humanity when you found your cats. I have two of my own both females and cannot imagine life without a cat.Cats without tails are common on the Isle Of Man and are often known as Manx cats. Keep up the good work, Best wishes from the U.K.

Ogri

Maverick said...

You're right. Dogs can be quite disgusting, and very needy. I mean, there is so much maintenance! Maybe this is another way they can be like women. Even most women are much more self-reliant, though, like cats.

Spitting in a Wishing Well

Rex Venom said...

Do you have any idea how many cats it takes to pull a sled? And all those little harnesses! Man! What a hassle…

NIna said...

Well, my doggie usually shits at the the side of the road or under scrubs. He´s a clean dog but he likes to eat smelly things, that´s true. :D

AGFH said...

I love cats. I have 10 cats at the moment. They show up at my house all dirty and bedraggled, half-starved. I feed them and clean them up and make sure they are healthy. I keep them until I find a suitable person for them, but I am picky so I tend to have alot of them around.
You are right though. They are super easy to clean up after.

Mia said...

lmao @ Rex. I'm a dog lover. Im allergic to cats, and for some reason all cats seem to know that.

Anonymous said...

If you want to know how much a wench you are thought you could take this test....

http://community.sparknotes.com/wench/

Anonymous said...

DWR- Where in the dang hell are you? Are you still over here in USA? Sketchy Jeoffory needs some ideas - I lost almost all of my blog entries thanks to a sh*t-for-brains web host!

BTW If you were a cat ... this would be how you looked:
http://www.jeoffory.info/sketchymess/media/crazylazycat.jpg

Anonymous said...

Where did you go? Where have you been? I'll drink this 40 oz. for you.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **Dog Coats** site/. It pretty much covers the sale of custom made dog coats.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)