Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Things You Notice When You Are Sober

I know that I am only into Day 3 of being sober after my relapse, but already I am beginning to notice things from before, during, and after my relapse. First of all, I am behaving in a strange manner. What do I mean by strange behaviour? Well, let me explain.

I'm a creature of extremes: I'm an introvert, and an extrovert; one moment I am stuck in a semi-routine where I don't even have to look at my diary to tell you what I will be doing 3 weeks from now at 10am, and the next moment, I whimsically call up a friend to ask if they are available for lunch at 11:45am. Its the same with my writing: there are moments when I walk around town with my digital camera taking photos, looking externally for things that I can write about, and there are moments like this when I just blabber on about what is going on internally with my life. Being in a constant state of imbalance has become a normal part of my life -- it's all, or nothing. Switch on, Switch off.

But things have been slightly different for the past few days. First I can only guess what I will be doing next week on tuesday at 7:30pm; I will have to look at my outlook meetings just to check, for I am not really sure if I will be seeing my counselor, going bouldering, doing Yoga, starting my Salsa class, going to a jazz concert, taking up pottery classes, or meeting friends for dinner. I may not even HAVE anything planned that day -- I'm just not sure. I need to check. My whims are also not as extreme these days: I actually emailed my friend to make lunch arrangements for thursday - YESTERDAY!! I am planning my whims ahead on a monday afternoon. And I can't remember if I have my digital camera with me today... what is going on?

Oh, and I have something "external" to talk about today. Here it is:

VJ Day, and The Fascist Shrine.

Yesterday, August 15th, was not only my DWF, Y's Birthday, but also was the day that Japan surrendered unconditionally ending what is known as WWII in our history books. War criminals were rounded up, classified according to the level of their crimes against humanity, tried, convicted/acquitted according to "International Law" (the trial was overseen by the victors of the war, as with any other war related justice and post war reparation.) and that should have put at least an end to all the horrible pain that the people of Asia and Japan suffered for decades so that we could all move on and try to forgive each other for what had happened.

But not quite. Some bright soul decided to enshrine all the "War Dead", including those that were executed as Class A war criminals, in a very controversial shrine -- Yasukuni Shrine -- which makes not a martyr out of the war dead, but revered spiritual entities that are looked upon in the same light as God, or Jesus is in any Christian society. In short, the instigators of the murdering of 19million Chinese, 2million Malaysians, millions of Koreans, and hundreds of thousands of Allied troops are resting in peace, getting manicures, pedicures, facials, AND are worshipped in a beautiful, leafy, green area in central Tokyo alongside those who died during the bombings of Tokyo, the allied landings in Okinawa, and the atom bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

If I died as a civilian as the American troops landed in Okinawa, I would not want to lie next to the men who were the reason why the troops came to invade and torch my home.

Yesterday marked 60 years after the war ended, and we still have right-wing extremist groups operating under the cover of NPOs, and "oppressed minority groups". They congregated outside Yasukuni Shrine (as usual) surrounded by armoured police vehicles, should there be clashes between the imperialists and the general apathetic populous of Japan. Why do I think there is apathy amongst my people? Simple. My colleague and I walked past the shrine yesterday and the topic of Class A war criminals came up. The term Class A War Criminal in Japanese is phonetically the same as Eternal War Criminal. My friend, a gentle person, could not understand why the West had tried and convicted men of war crimes till Eternity.

"Sounds like Dante's Divine Comedy to me -- I mean, banishing someone to eternity for crimes against humanity? I can understand why the families of these men want to let go of the past, I mean it's been 60 years."

"Umm... wrong interpretation -- the word is not Eternal War Criminal, but Class A War Criminal. It means that what they did was pretty nasty compared to a Class C War Criminal."

What *DO* they teach in Japan about modern history! And this dude has a post-grad in international relations! Oh woe is me, for we are doomed. Doomed. Doomed. Doomed....

(Post Script: Yasukuni Shrine still enjoys nearly 1500 hacking attempts per hour every day -- mostly by Chinese hackers, apparently. I don't know who takes the stats and releases it, but it does nothing to boost our relations with our neighbours that we have occupied/annexed between 1905 and 1945. It also does not help that history, however dark and unpleasant it may be is not conveyed to the younger generations who have known only peace during their lifetime. I am one of those fortunate people who have lived in peaceful times; I see war, famine, hate crimes, and all the ugliness that we are capable of doing, but only through a safe distance from the TV screen, or the morning newspaper delivered to my letter box. And for any Japanese person reading this post, Eikyu Sennpan is not a War Criminal banished to Purgatory for Eternity, or something, but a Class A War Criminal, a name given to those have committed the highest, and nastiest crime against the human race.)

No comments: