Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Antacid

The planet let out a burp today not too far from where I live. The belch originated from near the surface of the earth's crust, somewhere in the pacific ocean about 300km from my office. I know that 300km does not sound near at all, but in terms of the earth's linear distance? It's about as close to me as the next cubicle.

*Burp*

Recently, we've been experiencing a large number of earthquakes in the Kanto region of Eastern Japan. There was one about 2 weeks ago: things fell from shelves; the airports were closed for nearly 4 hours; and the residents of Tokyo were left thinking:"When's the next Big One?", for the Kanto plains have experienced large, devastating earthquakes that come in a 70year cycle for centuries. The last one was in 1923, which means that we are now 12 years overdue.

Our building was shaking for a good 5 mins, and the creeking sound went on for another 10. Most people stood by their desks wondering if it was going to get worse, or better, and I suppose out of fear all looked at each other for some form of moral support.

Me? I headed for the door which has a lock that operates on an electromagnet; if we lose power during the quake, we would all be stuck in the engine room of this building for a very long time, and I was not prepared to drink stale Evian that I use to water my plants, or eat my stash of dusty gummy-bears given to me by a colleague long before they realised that I do not like to eat sweets. I was going to open the door, and keep it that way till the tremour subsided.

"DWR. Why are you at the door?" was the response of the CIO's PA when she saw me standing at the door.

"Escape route."

"Oh, you are soooooo calm!"

Little does she know that I too was trembling inside, for I did not want to die in a building with strangers away from my family and cats. I wanted to live. I still do...


**************************************************


A cherished alcoholic friend of mine once told me that whenever he drank bad liquor, he would get wind. The solution that he had for his embarassing condition was to take chewable Antacid. After today's little scare, all I can say is that I hope the planet has enuf stash of Antacid to last another 70+ years (i.e. long after I am dead and gone) without beltching on my turf.

*Burrrrrp*

No comments: