Thursday, August 18, 2005

Losing Control

One of the reasons that I have chosen solitude over pursuing a relationship in the past was my inherent fear of losing control of my emotions. It's all too easy to sit in front of the phone, or the PC waiting for that call/email to enter your life; but then there is a split moment when you realise that you shouldn't spend 20mins in front of inanimate objects that may, or may not, deliver messages from people who are on your mind for a large portion of your day. I perceive it as I wasted and lost 20mins of my precious life, and I have nothing to show for it apart from the feeling of shame and foolishness for acting the same way I did as a 14 year old.

So who's email am I waiting for? I'm not entirely sure yet....

The difficulty in letting someone into your life when you are a depressed bulimic with an alcohol problem is that the other party inevitably finds it hard to handle your mood swings, your relapses, your sudden need for total solitude, and, of course, your lifestyle/habits when it comes to food. What does one say on their first date when they have been invited to an expensive restaurant that serves a set course? Or how does one explain the "pill case" that contains 3 or 4 different types of medication that you have to take after every meal? What if you start to see each other more seriously? How do you hide the fact that you are not getting any better, nor do you have the capacity to recover? It's easy for a diabetic to explain their medical condition to their partners, but for some reason there is still a stigma attached to those of us who have a "psychological condition" that is caused by/causes a chemical imbalance in the brain. My condition, just as with diabetes, manifested as a result of both environmental and genetic factors, but why is it that I still live in fear of being exposed?

It's the nature of my condition: it's the nature of me.

Have you ever experienced the feeling of anxiety when you tell a lie to your loved ones, knowing that they may find out one day that you were not entirely honest? Have you ever felt the fear of losing yourself, your identity, as you uncontrollably surrender your entire ethos over to a person that you so dearly love and care about? Have you ever been consumed by your own feeling of inadequacy, the sensation of being a dark cloud, a burden to someone you care that you forcefully withdraw yourself for the sake of protecting the person you care so much?

I was once told by someone that I was intimate with a long time ago, that being with me was like tip-toeing around broken glass; extra care had to be taken not to stand on the glass lest there be more damage done, and also to stop oneself from being cut by one of the sharp, dispersed fragments.

Today, years have past, I am still a piece of a broken glass, I still make people who are close to me tip-toe around me, and I am still waiting for that phone call/email from a stranger who may, or may not enter my life. I already miss and long for that which I do not have -- or will never have. And inevitably, to avoid pain from disappointment, abandonment, and a broken heart I become a recluse who communicates only with their inner voice...

Slowly but surely, I am losing control. I am losing control of both my mind, and my heart. And this time, not even my sobriety is going to get me out of my own madness.

5 comments:

LeftoverJoe said...

Hi -
I totally get where you're coming from. That's been my life for the past 15 years too...although I don't have quite the compulsion for alcohol that you claim. I do like to drink, but I've never felt compelled to drink.

Anyway, my mood swings can be vicious and can change every half an hour. I love isolation in big doses...and my friends don't...oh well. I definitely agree that despite the advances in mental health awareness, we're still looked at with different eyes.

Relationships are especially tough with these circumstances. I can totally empathize with you and I hope you can keep struggling through your problems and find at least some bright side in everything.

It's frustrating to know your situation and not be able to do anything about it. Send me an e-mail sometime if you want to talk. Take care.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Thanks Joe, I'll manage (somehow) I suppose. There are many ups and downs in my life and guess what? Just because it's a friday today, it's an automatic "UP" day for me, or at least it should be.

Thanks again for your kind words, and I'll keep you guyz informed about the upcoming "Speed Dating" thing I managed to suck myself into.... hmmm.

CrushedDreams said...

Geez DWR...you sound so lonely, and lonely so sucks!

The definition of a "Good Realtionship" has been summed up in simpler words: "Someone who will put up with my shit..."

For all you see as failings, its a big sea with lots of fish, many of which would find all your ticks and tocks as attractive- as long as you could put up with theirs...;<>! (Your mood swings and issues make you sound like an only child...we go through these things quite often) There are more than one "perfect matches" out there...it's just finding them that sucks, but if you want the pond to ripple...you have to toss some stones!

Best of luck on the Speed Dating--people meet their best match in the weirdest places!

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Thanks both of you for your comments -- as you can see from my next post, I ended up sleeping thru the Speed Date thing anyway. But one thing I *did* find out this weekend, was that if I just took a bold step, walked out of my little inner world and looked. I mean, not just see, but looked at the real world, there are people out there who may be just next door to you who will put up with your shit.

And nah, I'm not an only child, but the eldest out of 2. Only kids and the eldest child often exhibit similar traits tho'. Interesting observation.

Dating said...

Relationships are especially tough with these circumstances.