Wednesday, June 29, 2005

No Place Like Home....

For some strange reason, I always feel at home when I stay in hotels. Right now I am staying at Hotel Okura, where our company is holding a conference for "female leaders" (or something). Last night at the end of the the conference I came to my hotel room only to find crisp linen, pre-arranged flowers on my pillow, stiff (but nonetheless comfortable) furniture, and chlorine bleached, thick towels that greeted me. It sounds really clinical, and very unfriendly, but to me it is one of those things that I have gotten used to over the years. This is my second home -- my home when I am away. All the comforts that I seek apart from my little kitties...

HOTEL ROOMS.

I know that many of you may think that I am crazy to even think that a sterile, crisp environment is one in which I find loads of comfort, but I can tell you all what -- I LOVE IT! I love being given clean bed linen each day. I love being given new towels every day, I love having my litter bin cleared out every day, and most of all I *LOVE* room serivce.

Let me tell you about something related to room service on other people's money. It's called "so can't give a shit, coz it ain't my money" syndrome. I have lived with this horrible disease for the past 5+ years... (I think), and I can't seem to find a cure... My dinner including wine tonight cost me just over US$1200. Impressive for a two course meal for one person, right? (and the funny thing is that I have spend nearly twice this amount at the Marriot in Singapore!)

Living in HK I have experienced living in "Hotel Room" like conditions in the form of 6day a week serviced apartments. I also found the same situation in Singapore and also in Korea: my place was cleaned by at least 2 lovely women who even taught me a few lessons about housecleaning which I will never practice in my entire life... Ever.

During my depressive states, I often wake in my sterile double bed, four pillows surrounding me wishing that I can live this life forever.

If only....

1 comment:

LeftoverJoe said...

$1200 bloody dollars! Hot tamales. That's a pocketfull of cash. That wine must have been something.

I get what you're saying about a nice, safe, clean and anonymous hotel room though. When we went to Chicago on a business trip last December it was a blast and the hotel room felt like another world. It was awesome. See you around!