Sunday, October 31, 2004

Phonetics....

According to Merriam-Webster On-Line:
Pronunciation: f&-'ne-tik
Function: adjective

1 a : of or relating to spoken language or speech sounds b : of or relating to the science of phonetics
2 : representing the sounds and other phenomena of speech: as a : constituting an alteration of ordinary spelling that better represents the spoken language, that employs only characters of the regular alphabet, and that is used in a context of conventional spelling b : representing speech sounds by means of symbols that have one value only c : employing for speech sounds more than the minimum number of symbols necessary to represent the significant differences in a speaker's speech

The biggest irony is that "phonetic" is not spelt laik wot is sounds laik... I am a puwer advokaet of fonetics, coz aym a louzy spelr...

Viva fonetics 4eva!!



3 comments:

Ouija27 said...

As clearly evident in all my works, I too cannot spell. I do think it might be some sort of curse, but who really knows right? For this reason alone (my bad spelling) I am also a big fan of fonetics, and let me add abbervations. Combined they make up all my college notes! Too bad we can not write how we want, or spell wrong without being looked down upon. I cannot spell I admit it, why do the kick me when I am down? For example, you tell a group member you are a poor speller. They assign you to write a report on some bullshit. You write the fucking thing, hand it in, and they bitch cause I spelled one thing wrong that the spell checker and proof reader obviously miseed (or maybe it was sabotage?) and I get repremanded? Well fuck you Clarke, I told you I could not spell you fool, so what do you give me to do? The written work - and one word, one fucking word is spelled wrong and I am kicked when I am down. I admited defete before they kicked me, but still they kick, and kick? WHY?
I hate spelling.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

"I want to know god's thoughts, the rest are details" -- albert einstein (also a poor speller) was spot on when he said this. It's the message (god's thoughts) not the spelling (details) that counts!

if only people understood the essence of thought...

Ouija27 said...

Just think we could all be perfect communicators under any conditions if that was the case. That could lead to a near perfect world.
It is a nice thought, maybe someday with technology it could happen, right?