Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Picky, Picky, Don't Be Picky! (right?)

In Japan there is such thing called a Go-Con. I have no idea where the term originated from, but is it a small gathering of men and women who convene “en masse” in a semi-organised blind date. These Go-Cons are usually organised by two people – friends – who will organise a get-together with their singleton friends in a bid to meet new people/singletons who are swimming in the dating gene pool. In essence they “go” and “con” themselves into believing that their friends will introduce them to finding “true love” or “a good fuck” that night.

As you all know, I have already accomplished my “sex quota (refer to NYR#4)” for this year, and I have a lovely partner, albeit he resides on the other side of the planet. However, the other members of the DW Exclusive Committee have not reached their quota yet; in fact they are about to hit critical mass. So in a bid to get some action for the DW Inner Circle, I have looked to the most unlikely sources for help.

Sunshine.

Sunshine has mentioned several times in the past that we should have an arranged mass blind date (Go-Con). I have always taken his words with a pinch of salt, but in retrospect when I think about his prospective friends/aquaintances (considering his background in pre-med, MBA, etc.) he probably knows many eligible men who also have an equal network of even more eligible men/women for the DWFs to complete their quota this year. I know that having an impressive resume does not always guarantee that they are a nice person, but at our age, one of the things that we look for is that we don’t date lazy, poor, apathetic men who are always going to ask us to pay for our outings.

By the time you are thirty, nice men our age are either married, recently divorced (with 3 kids and alimony), or gay, so it is hard to find someone who lives close to you to take you out on casual dinner dates, short weekends, romantic drives… We women have all been indoctrinated by “Uncle Walt” during our childhood with his Cinderella, Snow White, and the “Happily Ever Afters…”. I hate to admit it, but at the end of the day women still loved to be woo and cooed... by Alpha Males.

I am really gritting my teeth as I write this, but the likes of Sunshine and club members of the Ivory Tower are indeed Alpha Males – socially speaking. Must admit, I I need to take a DNA sample to absolutely prove that they are indeed fully the crème de la crème, but anyone who ends up marrying with the likes of Sunshine and his MBA friends are going to have an easy life of fulltime maids, well educated children, and a glamourous social life, while maintaining the financial freedom that one enjoys as an independent singleton. We get to wake up next to the man we love every morning, but at the same time feel quite OK about calling “darling” up to tell him that you have to leave on Thursday for a 3 day business trip to Singapore.

We want commitment, and freedom. We want to chose the cake, bake it, admire it, and eat it with our lovers...

Are we being too picky in our age? Is this why we are still single in our 30s???

Does anyone have an answer to all this madness?? I forgot how "dating" was such an effort...

8 comments:

Kat said...

Dating sucks. I believe that's also why people stay in unhappy and unfulfilling relationships.

Anonymous said...

Kitty, how right you are... We get complacent, and stay in relationships that just don't go anywhere because the other alternative: DATING is just horrible.

I would rather have my wisdomtooth extracted with no anasthesia, while getting a PAP smear at the same time..

Vicious Summer said...

Whoa there, dwr..."I would rather have my wisdomtooth extracted with no anasthesia, while getting a PAP smear at the same time..". Just reading that made my cervix hurt (I was asleep for the wisdom teeth ;)...). I have to disagree here. I had a lot of fun dating and being single!!

p.s. DWR! You've just been tagged!

Ouija27 said...

Best of luck in all hun. MatchMaking can be tricky...

Anonymous said...

Oh shit, I think that I need more than good luck on this one! I probably need frogs eyes, penis of a siberian tiger, sprinkled with some exotic chinese herb that you can only find in Guandow province during the 2 week raining season, to spike everyone's drinks!!

Whichever way, we shall see what the Japanese "Elite Eligibles" have on offer for the DWFs...

Anonymous said...

Oops, I push the average marriage age higher and contribute to the declining birthrate in Japan. ;-)

CrushedDreams said...

DWR...I don't follow why you don't just blow it all off and go marry Nick..? Why suffer the pain of being alone when you found someone that you are good with? Screw the fact its half way around the world. People went that far for the last few centuries with a lot more trouble than a nice jet airplane...or more simply, you sound more valuable than the dating games you speak of...life is too short to not jump forward.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... that's true, but remember that marriage does not stop at getting a ring on one's finger. Anyway, I am arranging a date for my FRIENDS who want to meet new men who 1) live in the same area 2) don't have some kind of mental defect 3) don't have weird sexual preferences (e.g. autoerotic asphyxation)... in short, they are looking for "normal" men to date. Unfortunately the only semi-normal man that I know right now is Sunshine, coz of his background. I am sure he has at LEAST one friend that is worthy of introducing to my friends.
We'll see tho...