Sunday, May 21, 2006

Afternoon Tea With "M"

"M" is an idealist, just like me. I first met "M" back in early January this year. He had just come back from his pilgrimage to the middle east over the winter holidays: "Christmas in Kabul" was the theme of his travel last year. M is one of those who value collecting experiences in life versus the accumulation of material wealth, false prestige, and superficial acquaintances. And I admire his lifestyle choices, which is one of the reasons that I enjoy his company even though he can be very intense, cynical, sarcastic, and dry. Underneath his intensity, he does, however, have a good sense of humour.

He's just serious by nature.

M knows that my brother is behind bars, and his take on this situation for me was:"Would you quit trying to run your brother's life?".

His statement was probably the most sensible, honest advice that I got over my brother's fiasco.

In the end my brother got off with a 3 year suspended sentence. It didn't stop him from drinking and driving that evening. Once again he was lucky to get off scott-free, but I think that it is probably only a matter of time before something else comes up with him... namely tax evasion. Today I have other things to worry about in my life: me.

**************************************************************
Today I no longer have my afternoon tea sessions with M, for he has left the country to pursue his dream of starting his own internet business in the western orient. I still get emails from him frequently... always with sound advice on many things.
I miss my afternoon mini-lectures/discussions with M...

3 comments:

CrushedDreams said...

Miss your posts...glad to see you starting to put yourself first....you can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved anyway! Good luck with life in general...

Anonymous said...

DWR- Where in gay-hell are you??? I was expecting a prompt and hilarious reply to my most recent post on N. Korea.

Drunken Wench Rambler said...

Ah, good comment there, Jeoffory. I am in butt fuck, indonesia where I am doing my divemaster course. I know this may sound crazy, but I have not been able to access the internet for sometime now. Yesterday was the first day in 10... :(